ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - What novel should I teach to my 6th grade?
View Single Post

Gromit

Old 06-23-2017, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I loved teaching The Giver and A Wrinkle in Time to sixth graders, and I had a great project for after we read both. They had to create a "utopian civilization." It tied in perfectly to our study of early civilizations because they had to consider what makes a civilization, and after reading these books, they had to really think deeply about what they value most in a society and create laws and systems to emphasize those. We were also able to have great discussions about morality, free will, self-sacrifice, freedom of vs freedom from responsibility, value of pain, value and meaning of love, self-esteem, and more. Because I was at a Christian school, we also discussed predestination vs free will, religion vs relationship, and what it means to be light in the darkness.

I miss teaching those books so much!

Oh, and The Tale of Despereaux. Any reading skill or strategy you can think of can be demonstrated with Despereaux, and it's a beautiful story of courage, forgiveness, love, and honor. It's my all time favorite children's novel.

Last edited by Gromit; 06-23-2017 at 05:51 PM..
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net