ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Switch from Teaching to Counseling?
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 06-09-2018, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would very carefully look at the job market in your area. One of my best friends went through a master's counseling program, graduated three years ago, and hasn't been able to find a counseling job, despite applying all over her state. She can't move states because it would mess up her retirement.

She did get a pay bump for completing the MA degree, so it wasn't a total waste, but that's something you should look into as well. In my district, the MA has to be directly tied to your current assignment in order to move on the salary scale. My teacher MA program was also less than 1/4 the cost, finished in about half the time, and significantly easier than hers.

Many districts have cut counseling positions, and there weren't that many of them to begin with. The job market for school psychs is supposedly much better. My friend was just talking about how maybe she should have gone that route, but she doesn't want to do all of the testing. In some districts, pretty much all school psychs get to do is test kids.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net