ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Homework
Thread: Homework
View Single Post

am11

Old 11-16-2018, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What I have learned over the past semester is that students should be given homework that you are certain they will be able to complete independently. It also should not be taken as a grade and should be used mainly for practice. Give completion points instead of right or wrong grade percentages. Make sure to go over it in class. It's helpful when a student who got an answer right explains how he, she, they, etc. did the problem which should be followed by the teacher correcting any misconceptions. Accountability should be discussed with students at the beginning of the year. Make sure to explain to them that homework should be practice. It should not be stressful or take too long to do. Explain to them how empowering the homework you give them will be and how proud of them you will be when they complete it. Maybe give them some choice in what homework they get for the week based on a list you make. When students are given positive encouragement and are not stressed out about completing and understanding their homework, they will be more likely to complete it and learn something from the experience. Homework should be used to solidify the knowledge they already know.

You in no way have to use this advice! This is just what I have learned and my philosophy for it! I hope this helps!
am11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net