ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Master's Decision
View Single Post

middlestsis

Master's Decision
Old 12-01-2018, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey all, I'm interested in pursuing a masters' (or higher??) but I am not sure what to get it in. I am pretty sure I want to stay in a school and not go into administration, but I am not 100% about staying in a general classroom setting. I'd love to do RtI for reading or math or work as a pullout teacher for G/T students. I also think about preschool sometimes, but I'm not sure my state pays the same for those teachers. I guess here's a couple things I'm looking at and my thoughts:

Preschool- Not sure what masters' I'd get for this, but I would love working with the young ones and really getting a chance to focus on learning through play. I know however that they are very needy and it is a difficult job!

G/T- My school has two separate programs for G/T students. One is a pullout that serves multiple groups of students for only a certain part of the day and another that is a whole day. I'm more interested in the pullout, but I am not sure how likely it is that I would get either of those positions (even in other schools).

Reading Master's/Math Master's: I also like the idea of pulling out students for RtI in reading or math. We currently have multiple people who do reading pull out, but none for math. I am not sure if they pay scale is the same for general classroom teachers (and unfortunately a big pay cut is not in my and my DH's budget).

Reading Instructional Coach: We have one of these at our school and I don't think it is likely we'd get funding for another, but this person is supposed to help teachers by going into the classrooms, giving advice, etc. I'm not sure how interested I am in this, but my principal has invited me to multiple PDs where no other classroom teachers were invited, just instructional coaches.

Sorry for the spewing of my ideas, but I need to get some classes in to renew my state certification and I want to go ahead and start my master's! Does anyone have experiences in these or advice to give?

Thanks so much!!

middlestsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net