ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Emotional struggles
View Single Post

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-14-2019, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think that you are doing th right thing in making a change that provides you with stability.

That being said I know how important and valid it is to feel like you work is valuable and contributing to positively to those in need. Infact I think many here understand that since most of us get up and go to a low paying, thankless job each day and havent quite yet be we choose to do something worth while with our lives.

But know this, even as a foreign language teacher you will still be needed. How many students will be able to talk to others and create bridges in their community because of what you are teaching them. How many will be able to cultivate friendships and bonds that help others and give back because you gifted them with your teaching. Language opens doors and is the fabric of understanding and enlightenment and you give them this. Your work will still have value. Your students still need you.

What your really need is to change your POV!

I have a friend who teaches in a high poverty and trauma school and she says that she stays because her students need her and deserve the best. I don't work in that environment, but you know what? My kids still need me and still deserve the best. I still have kids that struggle, and that come in with baggage and the belief that they cant learn, or arent smart. I get kids who are so angry and have so much social cognitive distortion that they think that everyone in the world is out to hurt them-these things exist here too. I can be the one to make a difference, Even though they arent poor or high trauma it doesnt mean that they don't need something that I have to offer because they arent getting it at home. They are always fed and even dressed in name brand clothes-but that doesnt mean anyone has ever given them what they need deep down to succeed and heal.

The same can be true of you-all content aside. You cant have something powerful to offer them, everyday that can still be a game changer for them.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net