ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Can an older teacher get hired? Should she want to?
View Single Post

vpk22ndteach

Old 09-17-2019, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am thinking of returning to the teaching world too. I graduated from business school over 20 years ago, worked a few years and then became a stay a home mom of 2. 13 years ago we moved to the other side of the state. I worked at a local preschool VPK that first year and loved it. Went to get me certification thru the EPI program and was a high demand sub at my kids elementary and did a 4 month long term kinder sub position (at reg sub pay) but thought I would get the permanent position bc the teacher wasn't coming back the next year. Needless to say they announced the new teacher an hour before I interview for it but didn't realize at the time. I felt like a fool and was devastated. I accepted a pt VPK at a local private preK for low money but the hours were perfect for my school age children. I worked 5 years and left when my parents became ailing and my mom had terminal cancer. I've been working pt with my dh construction business for the past 5 years and am now I am almost an empty nester and my last is a senior in hs. I want to get back into teaching but will my history make me undesirable? I plan to sub this year while I get my certification back in order.
vpk22ndteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net