ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Autistic support
View Single Post

grade3teacher

Blueheron--- long response
Old 06-22-2010, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There are a multitude of reasons for the "handful" comment. Most of it I wouldn't be able to get into here.
One child in particular spent his first 3 years in a very consistant, structured, caring environment, making progress. When he switched over to the intermediate grades the Support teacher (which was new to our building) had completely different methods and philosophy on how her classromm ran. She expected the students to adapt to her cold turkey, rather than a slow adjustment. I disagreed with many things that she did. But did the best that I could since I was his only constant this past year. During this time I saw his behavior changing, mostly outside of my classroom. She blamed it on the mom and the fact that mom refused to allow any type of medication at all. In his IEP meeting there were 10 people there, everyone (including her own advocates) tried to convince mom that he needs something.
Mom has her own mental health issues. So we were dealing with a lot. This young boy has great potental and promise and it is very frustrating for me to see the cards stacked against him.
A new student started at the end of the year that is very similar in temperament and these two together are not too good of a mix. All of these changes are not good for the students.

Now as far as the hiring practices in our district. For the past 5 years all of the hirings were based not on what you know, but WHO you know or are related to. The new support person is one such hiring. So who you know is not going to help when these students have meltdowns and there are not too many familiar faces around that are actually trained in handling these students. And a part time principal.

It would be nice to live in a perfect world with the perfect team of teachers, but due to budgetary cuts, that just isn't happening here.
grade3teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net