ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - I LOVE my class this year- Hopefully it's because of RC!
View Single Post

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 09-09-2010, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel the same way, funteacher. I do think I have some unusually good kids this year, but I also think it has a LOT to do with RC.

Yesterday, my kiddos were really hyper and talkative, not really defiant or disrespectful, just chatty. I went home feeling really exhausted and stressed out, trying to figure out where the day went wrong. It struck me that I had not been using proper redirecting, reminding, and reinforcing language. Without realizing it, I had slipped back into old habits of talking too much, scolding and using manipulation (oh, I like what so and so is doing)--I guess I was just starting to get too comfortable with them. Anyway, I decided to make an extra effort today to be aware of my language. But even while writing my message this morning, I was still a bit frustrated thinking about yesterday and I was tempted to write something like "yesterday we were not on our best behavior..." but I stopped and forced myself to let go of that frustration. Today is a new day, I told myself, they deserve to start it on a positive note. So I just wrote instead about what a great day is going to be (even though I wasn't feeling it at all).

After a while of being very conscious of my language, I realized that my mood--and their behavior--had improved dramatically and it really was shaping up to be a great day. Today when I went home, I felt so much better and had so much more energy than yesterday and I know it's bc I stayed true to the principles of RC. Without RC, even good kids can be trying, but with it, good kids are empowered to be great kids.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net