ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Looking for resource room advice
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 08-02-2016, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How long do you have your kids for each day? I also teach resource and often run into an issue with students being at wildly different skill levels. I've considered doing stations before, but by the time we factor in travel time to/from my room I only get my kids for about 25 minutes for reading every day. I've considered whether it's better for them to really get about 12 minutes of really specific, targeted instruction at their level or the whole 25 minute group just differentiating the best I can. I've always gone with the whole group for 25 minutes before. If I had a longer reading block I'd definitely consider doing the stations.

If you have any control over your own schedule and can move things around, I have personally found it easier to teach bigger/ more varied skill level groups in math since there is more independent work involved. I can give them something to practice and just constantly go around checking in/conferencing with each child. Last year I chose to see 2nd and 3rd grade together every day for math so that it freed up time to make smaller and more skill-based literacy groups.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net