ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Holding most IEP meetings at beginning of the year?
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 07-30-2018, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We do our IEPs all throughout the year as they are due. My dad is also a sped teacher and his school does them all at the end of the year. While this does mean he only needs to work on paperwork a few weeks out of the year, those few weeks are extremely stressful, busy, and difficult.

Another issue to think about is how often do you get kids that transfer into your school from other schools, or how often do you identify new students throughout the year? At my dad's school, they had to create "gap IEPs" for transfer or newly identified students, and then do a second IEP for them at the end of the year so that they'd be due with everyone else the following year. His school isn't very transient, so not a huge deal for him, but at my school, we'd be doing these "gap IEPs" all year long, negating the entire idea of doing them all at once in the first place.

Personally, I prefer the way we do it. I'd rather just have paperwork as a regular thing that I'm working on in bits and pieces throughout the year than get used to not having to do much and then get slammed for a few weeks twice per year. That said, if my admin was insistent that's not a hill I'd die on- just they way I'd prefer things to be if they were asking my opinion.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net