ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Need input as a new principal!
View Single Post

daffodils

principals
Old 04-13-2019, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Things my principal did that I liked:

He took car line duty every afternoon. He was outside as kids loaded into cars. Parents tried to get away with less b/c the P was right there!

He walked around the school every morning on arrival, greeting teachers and kids. Teachers were supposed to be standing outside their classroom during arrival (or at least in and out) and he saw everyone. He knew all the kids.

Staff meetings--every Thurs was meeting day after school--some weeks as a team, some as a school. If he didn't have anything critical at the school ones, he just cancelled them and sent an email instead. When we did have post school meetings as a whole school, he provided snacks. But a good range of healthy and treat snacks--fruit, yogurt, cheese and crackers, chips, candy, etc. I loved staff meeting day b/c I got fed!

During teacher appreciation week, he organized with parent volunteers to take the entire school of kids into the gym/auditorium. Parents supervised and he led a sing along. He loved singing and playing his guitar. He'd sing songs the kids knew and they'd all sing along. While he had all the kids, teachers got snacks in the teacher lounge and free time. It was only like 45 mins, but it was so nice! He also got us each a gift each year (not his own money--not sure if PTO or school money or what). He'd have options from a catalogue--typically LLBean. Different style shirts and tote bags and the like with the school logo. We got to wear spirit wear on Fridays with jeans and it was fun to have a shirt in a style we actually liked. Some years I picked out a tote bag. I haven't been there for 5 years, but still have the really sturdy tote bags!

He and the AP were also good about the "have you talked to the teacher about this yet?" and then refusing to discuss an issue with parents until they talked to us first. They'd also email us a heads up!

This was office staff in general, but if a trouble parent came in and was trying to find you after school hours (when they could wander the school freely), they'd try to stall the parent until someone could warn you! So you could hide or leave or just be prepared to deal with the parent. Not being blindsided was great!
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net