Help

ARCHIVE

Word Wall for 2/3 class question...

>

mommy

Word Wall for 2/3 class question...
Old 08-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering when teaching a combined class how you determine which words to put on the word wall...do you mix the grade 2 and 3 words? Any suggestions would be appreciated

mommy is offline   Reply With Quote

flash123

Old 08-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have word wall sets that you have purchased? I know that many 1st grade words reappear in 2nd grade sets (I use a Carson Delsoa set). I combine the 1st grade and 2nd grade sets and take out the duplicates.

Will you use Month by Month Phonics along with your word wall?
flash123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kermit

Old 08-04-2008, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have stopped doing regular word wall in my multi-age classes in the traditional sense. They each have a dictionary, and they keep their 5 words for the week in the dictionary on a special page in the front. I have them partner up and do word wall type activities with another person each day. It still takes about 10 minutes, sometimes 5.

Then, on the word wall, I display different things- theme words, word family words, and so forth. I had to do this because I really had too much of a variety in levels. However, I have had a 3 year grade span in the past. (2-4th) This year I will only have 1st and 2nd, so may find that I can do the word wall in the regular way.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote

eagertolearn

alternate words
Old 08-05-2008, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a 2/3 class also. Last year I used the 3rd grade list from Month by Month Phonics as 11 out of my 16 students were 3rd graders. This year I plan on using the 2nd grade list but my returning 2nd graders will have access to the 3rd grade list from last year.
eagertolearn is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy

Old 08-05-2008, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I haven't purchased any word wall set as of yet. I don't have Month by Month Phonics but have heard great things...should I buy it?

eagertolearn

recommend 3rd grade
Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Month by Moth book. That book really lays out which words will be used each month and the teaching point with those words. I looked at the 2nd grade book ( I already had the pre-made words) and was disappointed as they didn't lay out the rational for words each month. They didn't tell which words to use each month. The book was focused on using other word work concepts. I primarily used the month by month phonics for the word wall word component. Occassionaly I'd used some of their other activites during our morning meeting time. I made a list of words I'll be using this year with the 2nd grade words. I based it on the recommendations the book stated and my work with Words their Way and the progression of sorts in the Within the Word group. Let me know if you want the 2nd grade list.

mommy

Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would like to have the gr 2 list eagertolearn if you don't mind.
I will purchase the gr 3 Month by Moth book. Do you mean that you use the words from the gr 3 books and choose some from the grade 2 list?

eagertolearn

alternate years
Old 08-05-2008, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just use 1 grade level a year. So this year I'll only use the 2nd grade words. I'll run off a list of words from last year for my looping 2nd graders. I hope this year plan is helpful!
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2nd Grade Word Wall Words Month by Month List.doc (25.5 KB, 80 views)

eagertolearn

opps wrong list
Old 08-05-2008, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I sent you the 2nd grade list of words, here is the month by month plan I made to get me started.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2nd grade word wall year plan.doc (29.0 KB, 64 views)

eagertolearn

ooops wrong list
Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I sent you the list of all the 2nd grade words. Here is the month by month plan I made for this year. I tried to make is similar to the 3rd grade Month by Month. Hope this helps! (I tried to edit my typo in the title and ended up reposting!)
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2nd grade word wall year plan.doc (29.0 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by eagertolearn; 08-05-2008 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: typo

Nanny

Eager to learn
Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

So--I am a little confused--are you using the Month by Month by Cunningham 2nd grade words and book for your 2nd graders this year? Is the list that you listed by weeks a combination or just the words in the book as she has it? Does this book have the Making words lessons that go with the words? My partner and I are really looking for a good list for 2nd graders. We are very unique and have such a detailed heavily structured phonics program that we really don't need the phonics part, but want to take a day each week to work on words they still need for writer's workshop and to be able to use some more fun activities such as making words, sorts, etc. I love the way you put the list you sent on a table by the month! Great job!
Nanny
Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote

eagertolearn

Nanny
Old 08-06-2008, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Sorry for the confusion! Yes these are the words from the 2nd grade Month by Month book. The book had a page recommending patterns to cover (ex: digraphs, vowel patterns, homophones, etc.) but didn't tell what words to cover each month like it did in the 3rd grade book. Since I do Words their Way, I followed the progression of the Within the Word level, so the word wall words will hopefully follow the within the word level (the majority of my students fall into this category). The 2nd grade Month by Month book does have making words lessons. I think each lesson focuses on different vowel patterns, plurals etc. I'm not sure how many word wall words they incoporate. I hope this helps. Let me know if I confused you more

mommy

Old 08-06-2008, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Eagertolearn-thanks so much for posting your gr.2 word list and your month by month plans. What excellent plans!!! Could I borrow you for a few weeks lol!!
Did you only plan out till April or is that when you stop adding new words?
I think I understand that you switch each year back and forth between the gr 2 words and then use gr 3 words the following year...is that correct? So if I use these gr 2 words...can I hold off getting the gr. 3 book or would I need that for the activities. Or should I buy both books?
Sorry for all the questions

eagertolearn

mommy
Old 08-06-2008, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

When I made these plans I used the 3rd grade book as a reference, and in that book she recommends doing about 14 words a month, ending in April, so that is what I did with the 2nd grade words. Then the month of May is supposed to be for reviewing the words already up on the wall. They stress showing how word wall words can be used to spell other words (word families, adding endings, plurals etc.) I used a lot of be a Mind Reader as a review. (Give 5 clues for 1 word wall word, with each clue giving more information about the word wall word). As for the books, if you use the 4 block system or use the word work block of the 4 blocks, then the 2nd grade book would be helpful. They lay out how to use cover making words, guessing the covered word, rounding up the rhyme and using words you know to help spell more complex words. The 3rd grade book really lays out what words will be used each month and the rational for why those words were chosen. I liked this approach, as before I felt like I was picking words misspelled from their writing, and it felt very random. Due to my schedule I only used the word wall component from the word block and used some of the other word activities during my morning meeting time. So, I guess I'd say if you're only going to do the word wall component, then I'd just get the 3rd grade book, then you can choose the other word actvities and modify them for the 2nd grade list. I hope this helps and didn't confuse you more! I'm glad to help, I get so many great ideas from this site, it's nice to give back!

mommy

Eagertolearn
Old 08-06-2008, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Your message totally makes sense. I really appreciate how helpful you have been with me. I will purchase the gr.3 MxM phonics book and do like you said.
One last question...do you use these words as spelling words or something totally different?

eagertolearn

mommy
Old 08-06-2008, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I use Word Their Way as my primary spelling. I add the 5 word wall words to their sorts they get each week. I saw on another post you were looking for the made words. I got my 3rd grade ones from the Lafayette school system last year. They had all the words in a word doc for each grade level. I just looked on their site and can't find the word wall words ready to print. I saved the 3rd grade words on my computer, so pm me and I can send you the list. When I was searching for the pre-made words I found this link for more word wall activites. These could get you by with the 2nd grade words, if you wanted to wait a year for the 3rd grade book. http://teachers.net/lessons/posts/1138.html

mommy

Eagertolearn
Old 08-06-2008, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I sent you a pm; thanks.
I checked out the word wall activites from the link you posted...some great ideas. You are very resourceful!