Who is enrolled in the $4950 Masters courses? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Who is enrolled in the $4950 Masters courses?

>

thechangingta

Who is enrolled in the $4950 Masters courses?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know I have read that several of you are enrolled in the ACU.edu or Texas (Lamar Univ/UT-Arlington) or Arkansas (ASU) Masters programs for $4950.

I have some questions for you!

How are the classes as far as intensity? Lots of busy work? Do you find it is a 12 week class shoved into 5 weeks?

Costs of books so far in your experience?

Is the price set or do you find yourself having to pay additional fees? Can the price go up? Even if you pay for it all upfront?

Is it a manageable program along with your regular teaching duties?

Are you having any problems locating online electives at the school to satisfy the electives part of the degree?

If you are out of state, are you finding any problems with your state accepting the classes?

Please share! Thanks!

I am seriously considering the ASU track - M.S. Education in Education Theory & Practice starting next month.

ce3rdteacher

Almost done with my 2nd class.....
Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am in the last week of my second class. I am liking it so far. The workload is manageable. I would say with readings, video lectures, and assignments that the time is roughly 10-12 hours per week. Seems like a lot but I am married with no kids so I can work as I please! My first class required a book that was around $35. There was no book for this class but just had to order 2 books for my next class. The total from Amazon was around $103. Another lady that is doing it had a good idea. She and a friend went in together on the books so that the cost is more manageable. The cost is $412 per class with no hidden/other fees. I was told that will be my payment until I have completed the program. Not sure what you are talking about with the electives part. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!! Have a great day!

thechangingta

Which program are you in?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you in the Ed Leadership or the C & I or the Education Theory & Practice? Are you at Lamar or?

About how many students are enrolled in the classes?

I would love to have someone to take classes with.

I thought we had to choose electives in the concentration of your choice, but that could be just with the C & I track, not Ed Leadership?

ce3rdteacher

Old 03-25-2009, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am in Education Administration at Lamar. Not sure about how many are in my class..... I know there are lots enrolled but they break you into smaller groups for your discussion purposes. I think I've seen like 10 names on our board? My friend and I started at different times but we happen to be taking the same classes. Just happened to turn out that way. I tried to get a few more people to start with me but no one would committ. No place have I ever seen anythig about electives. I have the start and end dates for all 12 of my classes and then my graduation date.

javamomma

Hoping to start this
Old 03-25-2009, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In the fall. I had started the enrollement for this Winter/Spring but wound up getting divorced instead. Decided I couldnt afford to do it all emotionally or financially.

cntryheart

links
Old 03-25-2009, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Do you have a link for information on the classes you are taking. I would be interested in learning more about this.

ce3rdteacher

Lamar link
Old 03-25-2009, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is the link to the homepage of the program I currently enrolled in.
http://www.academicpartnership.com/lamar/

thechangingta

Links to the $4950 masters programs
Old 03-25-2009, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

These are run in conjunction with Academic Partnerships.

http://www.astate.edu/academicpartne...y_practice.asp (Arkansas State University)

http://www.ace.edu/default.asp (school is in Chicago)

http://www.academicpartnership.com/l...du_tuition.asp (Texas)

http://uta.academicpartnership.com/education.asp (Texas)

All of them except the University of Texas accept out-of-state residents. I am in Florida and will be starting the one in Arkansas next month I think.

I need a motivation buddy!

thechangingta

Course Listing for the MSEd @ Arkansas State
Old 03-25-2009, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

An MSE in Theory and Practice can help you:
Develop a deeper awareness of school culture
Cultivate a richer understanding of learner-centered teaching
Evaluate obstacles to administrative change and ways to overcome them
Encourage a cooperative environment between parents and school administrators
Redefine and enhance the collaborative roles teachers play in school reform
Enrich teaching knowledge and skills regarding instruction and curriculum
Increase your earning potential

ELSE 5703 Identification, Nature, and Needs of the Gifted, Talented, and Creative

ELSE 6053 Educational Procedures for Individuals with Mild Disabilities

ELFN 6763* Philosophies of Education: Developing a Vision of Learning
Textbook: Gerald L. Gutek, Philosophical and Ideological Voices in Education.
ISBN: 978-0205360185

ELAD 6003* School and Community Relations: Enhancing Programs and Practices
Textbook: Douglas J. Fiore, School & Community Relations (2nd edition). Larchmont, NY: Eye on Education, 2006.
ISBN: 1-59667-022-3

ELCI 6063* Curriculum Management: Enhancing Teaching and Learning
Textbook: Glatthorn, A. A., Boschee, F., & Whitehead, B. M., Curriculum Leadership: Strategies for Development and Implementation (2nd ed.).
Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc., 2009.
ISBN: 1412967813

ELCI 6533* Theories of Instruction: Broadening the Instructional Repertoire

ELFN 6773* Introduction to Research and Statistics: Making Data-Driven Decisions to Improve Student Achievement

ELCI 5803 Special Topics Workshop: Reflective Teaching

TE 6263 Teachers as Professionals: Working Toward National Teaching Standards

ELCI 5803 Special Topics Workshop: National Teaching Standards Capstone Experience

thechangingta

ce3rdteacher
Old 03-25-2009, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for your information. I am glad I was able to talk to someone that is happy with the program so far... I am encouraged and feel better about my decision to embark on this journey along with teaching!

ce3rdteacher

You bet...
Old 03-25-2009, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If you have or come across any other questions, feel free to email me! Good Luck!

Jenny1st

Help!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This program looks like exactly what I have been looking for. However, I am not a Texas Teacher...in fact I live in Michigan. Do you know if they allow students to take courses from outside of the state? It looks like you have to be a Texas Resident.

I have been looking for an affordable program like this. I also looked at the book list and I have many of the books on the list simply because I am using them for my own professional growth. It would be amazing to study these books with other teachers.

ce3rdteacher

TX only for this one...
Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This program is for people who work in a TX district that is in partnership with Lamar. Not sure about others though!

meliss39a

Jenny1st
Old 03-25-2009, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

You do NOT have to be a teacher in Texas to enroll in the program at Lamar University - I teach in NJ and I'm enrolled & accepted & ready to start my 1st class April 7th

thechangingta

The only one where you have to live in Texas
Old 03-25-2009, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

is the one at the University of Texas-Arlington. That has a residency restriction. Lamar and Arkansas do NOT have the residency requirement!

It is a great deal! I am in Florida and I have decided to do the Arkansas State one!

I need a study buddy! Come on and enroll!

anngirl

***WARNING: Lamar University Program***
Old 03-25-2009, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am part of the very first class to attend the Lamar University Academic Partnership Program. I was interested in a masters, 18 months sounded quick, and it just sounded like an overall good deal.

When I began I expected there would be a few glitches since we were the first people to go through it. The first 14 months weren't so bad. Then Lamar realized they needed to have certain things in place to be accredited and started changing all the rules. For example, when we began we were told there was a 60 hour internship. Then all of a sudden it was changed to 120 hours. When I repeatedly asked for an explanation they refused to admit there was a difference. Then in January they moved our internship due date from the beginning of April to the first of February. About a week before the due date they came back and said April was actually correct. The one time we were actually face to face with the professors, someone confronted him about this issue. The professors said "We knew nothing about this February date" at which time 300 people nearly started a riot! (well maybe not that bad, but it was appalling!

The communication is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE! It is so bad that when I took the comprehensive exam, I was under the impression that it was a "practice principal's exam" (as the email had said) until the moment that I turned in the exam, found out I had failed by 5 points (because I didn't think I needed to worry about studying), and was told at that time "This was your comprehensive exam, you'll have to retake it." I was not alone. At least ten of my colleagues had the same experience.

All I have to do now to graduate is submit my final portfolio. However I am soooooooo confused because their have been so many changes and the directions are spread across dozens of emails and attachments. I have been an A students all my life an now I just want to quit! I emailed someone today to ask what to do- I don't know if I just fail, or if I can drop or what?!?!!
We had 5 weeks to complete this portfolio. However for anyone who begins the program now, they have the entire 18 months to complete the portfolio. (I guess maybe they're starting to get it together.)

I could go on and on....
But to answer your questions:

How are the classes as far as intensity? Lots of busy work? Do you find it is a 12 week class shoved into 5 weeks? Yes, there is a lot of busy work. However it is generally pretty simple- read this and "reflect" on it. (They sure do like REFLECTING!)
You have one assignment due every week. Week 3 and 5 also have multiple choice exams. I just worked on it every weekend.
You are assigned an "Academic Coach" that relays communication to you and grades your assignments. I often found that many times it seemed the coach didn't even read my assignments and simply gave an A when I knew I deserved lower.

Costs of books so far in your experience?

I was only required to buy one book and it was about $35.
There are weekly readings online. I was able to get by without spending too much time on them however they sound like they are starting to really require more from the readings now.

Is the price set or do you find yourself having to pay additional fees? Can the price go up? Even if you pay for it all upfront? I think the price is pretty straightforward. Otherwise I have just found an application fee and graduation fee. My district has a deal to just withold $275 a month from my paycheck which is very convenient.

Is it a manageable program along with your regular teaching duties?

I found it mostly manageable up until they asked us to do this ridiculous portfolio in only 5 weeks!!!!

Are you having any problems locating online electives at the school to satisfy the electives part of the degree?

There are no electives. In fact there is not even a choice as to which class you are taking next. It just uploads automatically (well, if it is working correctly, that is).

If you are out of state, are you finding any problems with your state accepting the classes?
Not out of state.

Are you in the Ed Leadership or the C & I or the Education Theory & Practice? Are you at Lamar or?
Educational Administration. The first half of the degree program is exactly the same as the Ed Leadership program.

I honestly don't know anyone in my class who has been happy with the Lamar experience. I truly hope that things are better for the future students but I see some serious lingering issues such as the communication problem.
Please message me if you have any questions

Last edited by anngirl; 03-25-2009 at 03:36 PM..

ce3rdteacher

My mistake...
Old 03-25-2009, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I was under the impression that is was a partnership with TX districts. I have been happy so far with the program. Yes, I got to start my internship from my first class. I'm sure it would be very frustrating to have that change right at the end!

thechangingta

Anngirl
Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I hope that the program gets better as time goes on... I think that the issues you are facing can be overcome with positive results.

It sounds like growing pains, but it does make me think twice about being one of the first ones in a program -- being the guinea pigs!

Well, thank you for helping work out the kinks and making a better program for those who follow you!

And congrats on your upcoming graduation!

meliss39a

ce3rdteacher
Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

ce3rdteacher - Are you having a good experience so far? I'm set to start at the beginning of April and anngirl's post is making me nervous!

Jenny1st

I want
Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

to do the Literacy program at the University of Texas at Arlington. It has everything I have been looking for. None of the other sites have a focus on literacy...boohoo. Maybe I can still work it out. With this economy it seems like they would take any money they could get....

OR maybe I will just pack up my family and head south

thechangingta

Article from Inside Higher Ed
Old 03-25-2009, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Here is an interesting article about Academic Partnerships aka Higher Ed holdings...

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/03/24/heh

We all know that distance ed is very controversial, so I am not surprised at the resistance.

I am concerned with the numbers in the article that mention the approximate class sizes at 2000 students.

No wonder it is hard to communicate. How can a professor keep up with that many students?

I admit I am very interested in the program, even with all I have read, but I want to be successful in my learning and application moreso then getting a good grade and the degree!

ce3rdteacher

Nervous at first...
Old 03-25-2009, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Just because I didn't know what to expect. I have a friend who has 2 classes left and is in somewhat of the same boat as the pp. She wishes the internship process started earlier so that she could experience more. I have had a good experience so far. Takes a little getting used in navigating the whole system since it is a program you download to your computer. Seriously, feel free to email me and I can help get you started. I didn't even know how to submit my first assignment!! You'll do great. They're getting the kinks worked and things are much smoother than the beginning!

ce3rdteacher

with Lamar
Old 03-25-2009, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

You are broken down into groups and assigned to an Academic Coach. They can answer (or get the answer) to any question or problem. You still have the professor's email and contact information. My dad fully researched this program for me because he was concerned at first. He has had to tell potential employees that their "masters" doesn't qualify with his company's requirements, basically. He says that it is fully accredited and no where will it say that it was an online or distance ed program.

anngirl

Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I'm sorry if my post made you all nervous.

I have just been on the verge of tears about all of this all week! So I was surprised to see this thread come up.

It hasn't been perfect, but everything up until the end was adequate.

Just make sure you understand the details of the Comprehensive Exam before you have to take it. They require an 80% in order to pass and you have to go take it in person at designated sights around the state. (By the way, Dr. Jenkins has a handy review that he is happy to share if you remind him to send it to you....we didn't get it until a couple hundred of us failed the first time It really wouldn't have been too hard if we knew what it was all about.)
I just can't describe how unprofessional that whole situation was and how livid the 300 students were.

Now if I could just figure out this crazy portfolio I could be done with this mess!

thechangingta

Number of students enrolled in ASU's MSE
Old 03-26-2009, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I found out that Arkansas State has 150 teachers enrolled in the program with more applications being processed (they started it in January I think). I feel better knowing that it is not in the thousands!

http://www.asusystem.edu/reports/mar...s%20Report.pdf
RRR737

RRR737

comp exam
Old 03-31-2009, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I just read your blog. I'm finishing up this year with the program. I didn't get the notes till after I took the exam. I'm having to retake the exam. Do you know anyone who has the breakdown in the afternoon discussion of the exam. I heard he gave some more info but I had to leave because of a family emergency and wasn't able to stay. I appreciate any help.

thechangingta

I was approved for admission into the ASU MSEd...
Old 03-31-2009, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

no GRE needed (yea!).

My first class is Curriculum Management: Enhancing Teaching and Learning and it starts on the 13th. My book cost $71 at Amazon.com.

I love the list of classes for this MS Ed in Educational Theory & Process. But it seems like most people are going for the Ed Leadership or Ed Administration degree at Lamar.

Anyone going to start the ASU masters? Is this a bad degree to get?

Last edited by thechangingta; 03-31-2009 at 04:36 PM..

thechangingta

Delta State University M.Ed Elementary Ed
Old 03-31-2009, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Found this degree at a reasonable price.

All online. The school is in Mississippi.

http://www.deltastate.edu/PDFFiles/d...ation_su09.pdf

$247/credit hour (in-state and out-of-state pay the same).

All online. 30 hours.

The program consists of these 10 required courses, each of which earns 3 credit hours:

CEL 610: Effective Instruction in the Elementary School (Elm Core)
CEL 620: Fundamentals of Early Childhood Education (Elem Core)
CEL 611: Classroom Management (Elem Core)
CRD 624: Literacy Instruction in Elementary Education (Elem Core)
CEL 621: Education in the Intermediate Grades (Elem Core)
CEL 618: Curriculum Development and Revision (Elem Core)
CEL 630: Practicum in Elementary Education (Elem Core)
ELR 605: Methods Ed Research & Statistics (Master Core)
CUR 608: Historical Foundations (Masters Core)
EPY 601: Psychology of Learning (Master Core)

A 9-hour core addresses educational research, psychology of learning, and historical foundations of education. The 21-hour major field courses focus on effective instruction in early childhood and the intermediate grades, classroom management, curriculum development, and literacy instruction.

For the Summer 2009 semester, the schedule is as follows:

Summer I (June) CEL 618: Curriculum Development and Revision (Elem Core)

CRD 624: Literacy Instruction in Elementary Education (Elem Core)
Summer II (July) CEL 610: Effective Instruction in the Elementary School (Elm Core)

CEL 620: Fundamentals of Early Childhood Education (Elem Core)

iteach526

Just Applied
Old 03-31-2009, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I just applied for Lamar/TX and will hopefully start June 2. I actually received my Bachelor's from Lamar so I'm very excited about this. My principal is very supportive and is willing to do whatever she needs to do to help me. Is there anyone starting in June also?

Micha/TX

anngirl

Rrr737
Old 04-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

RRR737,

I have Dr. Rucker's TEXES Review. I tried to upload it but it won't work. PM me and I can email it to you.
The afternoon review session was very helpful because he basically went over every question...and they were the exact same questions on the retest.

Here are the notes I took:

Always choose answers that
-close achievement gaps
-address the Knowledge and Skills
-expect everyone to go to college
-not about increasing comfort of the teacher
-meaningful change takes time
-use a shared vision
-are not condescending
-address school climate
-describe ongoing, frequent review of issues
-develop consensus
-talk about "discussing and enlisting" suport

If a principal needs to make a decision about maintenance issues, water cut off, etc they can always request advice from the district.

The crisis plan must be aligned with the district plan.

Principal has a legal right to remove the editorial from the school paper if such censorship is reasonably related to educational goals.

On AEIS data always compare the campus data to the campus group and state.

Hope this helps somewhat. I know it's frustrating to retake it!!!

thechangingta

I start my first class Monday with ASU
Old 04-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

is anyone else starting this one too?

I have met (online) one person who has been in the program since August.

I have a question. I downloaded the GoCourse software, signed in and completed the ASU orientation. When do they download the actual course information? I thought it was the Friday before the class started?? Maybe not until the start date?

So far, the GoCourse software is easy to use and video and graphics are nice visuals-- nice since I am a very visual learner!

thechangingta

I finished my first class
Old 05-15-2009, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

it was not too bad, and I am a procrastinator. I somehow managed.

My next class starts in 10 days. I cannot lie, I am looking forward to the break, but then I am back in business for class #2.

Anyone else starting?
Steff99

Steff99

Review
Old 07-25-2009, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I am currently enrolled at Lamar. I will be taking the practice test in the fall if you wouldn't mind I would love to see the review.

My email is steph_pair99@yahoo.com

Thank You!

Mink

Mink

Ms. Mink
Old 10-25-2009, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

2nd Class? Wait until you get to the Research course. It is a show stopper. I am on my last course, the portfolio, and I honestly wish that I'd archived all of my prior assignments and work differently. However, here I am and I have 12 piles of course material spread out on my dining room table and am busy working on the 6 questions I chose from a total of 10. Oh, and they have to be 2-3 pages each. This is just the tip of the iceberg . . . .
I would say that the Research course and this last one are the heaviest as far as reading/writing.
Good Luck!!!

Mink

Mink

Ms Mink
Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

As an added to my previous, since I looked at other posts and noted that some are referring to different programs/degrees.
I am in the Lamar M.Ed. program.

Mink

Mink

Ms. Mink
Old 10-25-2009, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Ann
I am also taking the M.Ed. under the Academic Partnership umbrella
So the new students have 18 months to work on their portfolio? I asked very early about the final capstone course and what it entailed. I was told nothing. As I said in my earlier post, I would certainly have archived things differently and, perhaps, tailored them to what the portfolio requirements are.
I find that I am constantly emailing my coach to make sure that I understand the due dates for these portfolio requirements. I absolutely do not want to miss a due date; I am going back through messages, the syllabus to make sure that I understand requirements, due dates.
Also, I am curious about how an electronic portfolio is even compiled to give to these three professors who will make or break our efforts over these last 18 months.
All I can add is that there will be a huge celebration when this is finished.

ts0516

ts0516

Email Me
Old 01-02-2010, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Can you send me the review? thanks

ts0516

ts0516

Review
Old 01-02-2010, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I forgot to send my email. knasimon@yahoo.com