IEP/Special Education Advice... - ProTeacher Community

misterbushman

IEP/Special Education Advice...
Old 07-29-2009, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi...I'm presently taking a class on school law, and this particular assignment is asking for some information that I need help with...

Scenario #1:

There is often not a connection between the accommodations outlined in a student’s IEP and the actual accommodations that are made in the classroom. Using evidence-based research, explain how you plan to ensure that the accommodations outlined in a student's IEP are followed? If teachers say that the IEP accommodations are not working, what do you do?

Scenario#2:

Explain methods you would use to determine whether the accommodations provided for a student in his/her IEP have a positive effect on his/her achievement?

Scenario #3:
Describe a professional development activity for teachers of a student with an IEP that would help them more effectively implement his IEP.

Thanks for any help you can give me as I am not a special education pro!

misterbushman is offline   Reply With Quote

hapEteachr

special ed scenarios
Old 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I will offer some suggestions, and hopefully you'll get others who will share their insights as well.

Scenario #1: If the accommodations do not seem to be working, the teacher needs to continue monitoring progress anyway to have data that backs this up. This does not mean that the instructor can then drop the accommodation. He/she must talk with the parent/ guardian about the proposed change to the IEP and get the approval to make the change and get a signature to go with it. It would probably be best, if possible, to reconvene the IEP team to discuss what accommodations might work better for the individual. The driving force for decision making is to have data to support the proposed decisions.

Scenario #2: Is the student meeting his/her goals? Are all of the accommodations being provided and used? Is there a particular environment or pattern to a student's lagging in his/her goals? Some methods you could use to track this would be to log when a student comes to you for help with particular subjects and what accommodations are provided. You could also give the regular teacher (if applicable) a check list and have him/her check the accommodations provided within that lesson/ day. Leave a space for comments so the regular teacher can make suggestions for further accommodations needed.

Scenario #3: Flip through an IEP and make sure that all the pieces are cohesive so they tell a story about the individual student and everything is covered appropriately in each section. Teachers can then make a list or a recording chart to decide how they're going to monitor student progress in each of the areas. (This may be uniform or it could vary according to classes/ content areas).
hapEteachr is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Old 07-29-2009, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

#1 Following accomodations can be tricky if you are not in the classroom with the student 100% of the time. You could use a tracking sheet where the teacher ticks off each time an accomodation is used. Most of the time these accomodations are a natural occurance in a classroom (i.e. clarification of instruction). If the teacher says they are not working then have them provide evidence of how many times the accomodation has been implemented and then call an IEP if neccessary.

#2 As long as the child is making progress towards their goal with the use of the accomodations then they are working. Tracking what accoms are used is the best way to determine this.

#3 Well, being at the IEP would be the ideal scenario as they would have a say in what will be put into the IEP to help the child succeed. Maybe having a quick PD on differentiation or working on goals for an IEP would be a good idea.

I hope I helped a little for you.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

misterbushman

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2009, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks so much!
misterbushman is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2educ8

Accommodations for IEP's
Old 08-01-2009, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Scenario #1:

If teachers say that the IEP accommodations are not working, what do you do?

Meet with the IEP team and create new accommodations that will successfully help the student in meeting his/her goals.

Continue to monitor and document whether or not the new accommodations are working.

Scenario#2:

Explain methods you would use to determine whether the accommodations provided for a student in his/her IEP have a positive effect on his/her achievement?

Utilize a checklist and consistent monitoring
Collaborating with students' teachers
Collaborating with the student

Scenario #3:
Describe a professional development activity for teachers of a student with an IEP that would help them more effectively implement his IEP.

A review of the basic laws of special education and IEP implementation.
A review of the disability the child may have so you can better educate and implement their IEP's.

I hope this will help guide you in the right direction. Good Luck.

luv2educ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
bflyvan

bflyvan

You all helped me too! Thanks!
Old 10-16-2010, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am also taking school law! These exact scenerios were a part of my assignment! Its a Saturday and I am not able to be in contact with the SPED staff on campus to assist me with these questions. This site was perfect! Thank you!