Parent took a student out of school - ProTeacher Community

excitedteach

Parent took a student out of school
Old 02-21-2010, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so dissapointed. I lost one of my students this week. His mother put him in public school. He was there until the 13th, and then we had Monday off for President's day. He never returned, at the beginning of the week she called to say he was "sick" but by Thursday said he won't be returning. I feel bad that she gave her son/ nor my class any closure on the subject. He has been with the school since birth at our daycare and then preschool, last year in K and now in 1 with me.
I can't seem to get a real answer as to why. She says her son wanted to change schools! Why are you allowing a 7 y.o. to make these important decisions! He seemed to like my class, and had friends. I simply don't understand making such a change in the midde of the school year with no pressing reason. I am also upset that she has convinced another mother not to bring her current Pre-K and K students back next year, because of her new found negativity. If any student needed the Christian environment it was her son.
I am praying for that family!

excitedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

student leaving
Old 02-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It happens to me all the time, and I am in a public school. The parents are forced to move for economic reasons, and there is no closure. I find out after the fact that the child is not returning to class. My heart aches for those children because I know they will have to adjust to a new situation. I also get new students all the time.

I understand your frustration, but you don't know the whole story. Just let it go and concentrate on your other students.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 02-21-2010, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I understand. I'm in a tiny school and this would hurt. We pour ourselves into them and they leave because of parents.(I know larger ps teachers feel this, too.)
And who wants to be lied to? (He was 'sick'?)
So sorry. Sounds like he did need you all. Maybe he'll be back someday. We had a girl leave this year and she was back in a month.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

wig

Old 02-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you think it may be do to econimic reasons and she is too embarrassed to say?
wig is offline   Reply With Quote

excitedteach

not economic
Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is definitely not economic as he is on scholarship and it covered all but 100.00 of the expenses, which were paid in the beginning of the year. She is a woman that loves DRAMA! she has said her son had several diseases this year and last year, all tested and came back negative, with NO syptoms that I could ever see to lead to such a thought.

kmob

Old 02-27-2010, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I work in a small school as well and we've had people leave and come to us mid-year several times. A lot of the time I feel like they are teaching their children that it is okay to run from your problems,and that you don't have to try to get along with others because we'll just change the situation. All we can do is our best to teach and care for each student in our classroom and make sure that our positive energy out does the negative that is out there. With the current economy I know many schools can't afford for negative parents to tarnish their reputations. Does your school have an "exit" survey? If they do they should mail her one and hope she fills it out so you can have closure.
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

excitedteach

didn't see this response
Old 02-28-2010, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sorry, I didn't see your response. We do have an exit survey, and usually do an exit interview, but she slinked out and hasn't even come to get his personal things. However we will see, we mailed a letter that she needs to come sign his scholarship check by Wednesday and then we would be able to release his records to the public school... so hopefully she will come in. She won't return any of the directors calls either. I completely agree that the small private schools can not afford the negative parents! Thanks for your input.