need to decide middle school or college level - ProTeacher Community

fiddlergirl

need to decide middle school or college level
Old 02-22-2010, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am having trouble making a decision.
I was not able to finish my teaching degree some time back. But I did get a degree in history (We moved).
I was told by a administration that I could go through the PACE program (alternate program). I jumped through all of PACE's hoops. But of course now I can not find a teaching job.
I have started getting my Masters in History.
My problem is do I teach college level or middle school. I hear some many bad things about the different schools districts and everything that a teacher has to go through that I am not 100 % sure if I want to teach in a school system.
Any advice?

fiddlergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ProfsWife

ProfsWife

RE: Teaching College
Old 02-24-2010, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In order to get a decent paying job as a professor in history you will need to get your Ph.D. If you only have a Masters you will be in adjunct land forever which does not pay very well (like less than a middle school teacher, much, much less). Also, college history departments are flooded with professors and finding a job is extremely challenging. One of our good friends is ABD in history and is actually taking a job at a high school b/c he cannot even get an interview with a college.

So I would definitely lean towards the PACEs program. I hope this helps.
subczy 1

subczy 1

unless...
Old 04-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Continuing on what the previous poster said, it may be possible at the community college level and you could begin at night and weekend classes or online instructor to get your foot in the door. I'd certainly ck the college line out before committing and I also recommend you go ahead and start subbing in all sorts of levels in your dist to see what level you like. You might be surprised! (why not high school?_)
marie51

marie51

My advice teach on college level
Old 06-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

moving through the web page looking for assistance for the general knowledge I came upon your comment. Well, I have taught middle school and I have no desire to return, but I have earned my master's degree in education and I have plans to teach junior college where the students take responsibility for their own actions without interference from parents or other persons. In college the student either chooses to learn or not and takes the chance of loses funds and having to repeat a course. Thus, the teacher can not easily be blamed or be used as an escape goat as in public school.