Help

BusyBoard

How do you mark wrong answers?

>

Hideeho

How do you mark wrong answers?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

At PT Conferences tonight, I was told that one of my students didn't know he was not getting all 100's because I wasn't using minus signs to mark wrong answers.

The Dad was semi-hot about this and also didn't like how I marked the total of correct responses on papers.

This is 4th grade, we are departmentalized and I teach math and science.

I mark wrong answers with a "checkmark" and would make one if I knew how to do it on the computer. For the total I mark it like this "+11/18", 11 correct out of 18.

Soooooooo, how do you mark wrong answers?

Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

bells4me

Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I mark mine with a check mark. More often I write on the top of the page something like -3 . However in mad minute I mark them like you. 27/30. I don't put a plus sign by the top number. But I have seen many teachers mark the papers the same as you. However, by 4th grade a child should be able to figure out that not all the answers are correct. This child sounds like she has been pulling one over on the dad.
Dad: Look at this report card! How could you get a C?
Child: What!? How could I get a C? Dad, I thought I was getting an A! All my papers have been good.
When I was a child the teachers always marked wrong answers with an x and correct answers with a c or a check.
bells4me is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 11-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What dad and student can't count the check marks? What a cop out! I mark just like you 11/18...I use an x instead of check. I do let the kids know when I hand out the papers that if they received below a 13 they are failing and then I tell them the grade 13 & 14=C, 15= B, etc.
klarabelle is online now   Reply With Quote

School Time

Circle
Old 11-11-2010, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I circle incorrect answers. On a test, I usually put how many incorrect/total. I also put the % correct in a circle. On reading selection quizzes, I don't put the percentage since there are three different grades involved. I have to give several reading grades (decoding, vocabulary, comprehension) so I don't put a regular grade on those papers.
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I circle the question number of the problem that contains a mistake and then -# of how many points were taken off if questions are worth more than one point. If a portion of the question is wrong and a portion is right, I circle the actual part that is wrong.

At the top I put #correct/#possible and I teach the students how to find their percentage at the start of the year (that way they're practicing math ).

That said, Dad's just making excuses.

Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Circle
Old 11-11-2010, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I circle wrong answers. I used to do check marks. We have a lot of Asian families and I guess that a check mark means the answer is correct. It totally confused me when I first started as I grew up with a check mark meaning wrong answer. I could not figure out my first year when I had the kids correct their own paper, how one kid marked the paper with all check marks when the answers were correct.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

wow I would be confused too. Here a check mark means correct. X or answer circled means wrong

I cant wrap my head around a check marking = wrong!
cheerio is online now   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 11-11-2010, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

BTW, I do add a letter grade to the the +11/18 if I'm taking a grade. Sometimes I will do the +11/18 type of marking to show that I've looked at student work, but am not taking a grade.

Cheerio, I've heard of people check marking correct answers, but I don't quite understand why teachers would make a mark on a correct answer.

If an answer is correct, I just leave it alone. Unless it's a really great answer. Then I will write a comment by it.

Suezie

Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I always mark CORRECT answers with a check (√). Wrong answers are marked with an x. Sometimes I will circle the question number if the answer is incorrect and I want a child to fix it.

I had to look this up and found this on Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tick_(check_mark)

Last edited by Suezie; 11-12-2010 at 01:20 AM..
Suezie is offline   Reply With Quote

parker

I slash the number of incorrect items
Old 11-12-2010, 03:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

do nothing with correct answers, circle the number of items I want them to redo and score +8/10 = 80% B at the top of the paper. I do a lesson about changing fractions to percents at the beginning of the year and have the students explain it to their parents at the beginning of the year.
To me a check mark means correct.

parker is offline   Reply With Quote

6LASS

This is ridiculous!
Old 11-12-2010, 03:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What difference does it make how we mark a paper right or wrong! This is another example of parents who will argue anything to weasel their kids out of taking responsibility for their actions or lack of. I swear, if I was sitting through your conference, I would have been pretty hot.

Then again, if the dad cannot figure out a right or wrong answer, what can we hope for the kid?

My heart goes out to you! We really do have bigger fish to fry then standardizing a checking method!
6LASS is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 11-12-2010, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Wrong answer = X

Right answer = O
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

2Teach2Learn

Only an x
Old 11-12-2010, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When an answer is wrong, I put an "x" over the number or right beside it. If an answer is correct, I just leave it alone. I don't circle it or anything. I would get too confused! haha I do put -3 or whatever at the top so they see how many are wrong, then I write the grade and circle the grade.
2Teach2Learn is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Old 11-12-2010, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Wrong answers get a slash over the number of the question.
For my younger kids, I circle or write the correct answer.
For my older kids, I do not.
I prefer to be positive over negative and therefore, ALWAYS right +18/20, +3/10 at the top...Focusing on what they did correctly always seems to get better results the next time.

Also, this father is silly. All teachers use different methods. Some of us even dare to usegreen or purple pen instead of red! :-)
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

EmilyP103

Old 11-12-2010, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I typically write a fraction on the top (# of problems correct/# of total problems). I also circle any incorrect answers. I don't mark correct answers at all.

For longer tests I sometimes write the number wrong in the bottom right corner of the page (-2). This is very small and is usually more for myself than the students.
EmilyP103 is offline   Reply With Quote

notartteacher

checks for wrong???
Old 11-12-2010, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Check marks mean correct where I live also. In NC. (Even when I was in school.) I mark wrong answers with and X or a circle around the number. If they miss 4 I put -4 at the top along with the grade. Sometimes I put -4/12 with the grade.
notartteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

bebita

Wow...
Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I thought that check mark meant right and x wrong around the world. I grew up in a different country and that's how it is done. Now I live in the US and I still use that system and all the teachers I know use it too.

I don't want to say that this parent is 100% right but maybe he was confused because it is the first that he sees that grading system. It was his responsability to ask you about it though.
bebita is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

However you mark it
Old 11-12-2010, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I personally have never seen a check mark for wrong answers, here that means answers are correct. I would be confused at the beginning, but however you mark it, your fraction at the top of the page does make it clear the child did not get everything right, and they are just now realizing he's not doing that well. That's probably what is upsetting the parent the most. Hopefully now that he knows the child is struggling Dad will be helping him study.

I like the idea of having the child convert his own fraction mark to percentage, he's doing math, plus he finds out how he did....but you might want to check his work on that before the paper goes home. If he's not too good at math who knows what 11/20 will look like when he's through!!
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

grade3teacher

Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Here's my 2 cents
If it is a multiple choice test I put a slash in the correct answer.

Open ended I show 2/3 meaning 2 points right out of the total values of the question.
if everything is right I put a gigantic check mark over the whole paper.

In general, I put the number wrong at the top with a percentage.

Spelling papers the students check each others and then it is up to the original student to proofread again to see if something was marked incorrectly. I tell them this is the only time they are allowed to argue with me. This is to get them to start looking over their work more carefully.
If I have to correct something marked wrong, I then put a C over it to show correct.

Last edited by grade3teacher; 11-12-2010 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: another thought
grade3teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Old 11-12-2010, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I didn't read all the responses, so I apologize if I am repeating what someone else may have said...

Where is Dad's or Mom's role in this ? Do they not ever look at the returned work, or check the grades online ? Even if the child was confused, a parent should have been able to look at a paper and notice some kind of indicator for wrong answers.

For the record, I circle or draw a large slash mark through wrong answers, and I often write off to the side how many points were lost, so I can add them all up for a grade out of 100 at the top. A check mark for wrong answers does seem a bit backwards to me; but to each his own, and kid and Dad should have figured it out by now.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

iarunner

fill in correct answer
Old 11-12-2010, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I put an "X" on the correct response if it is a bubble test or circle the correct answer. That way, it is difficult for a student to change their answer and tell me I made a mistake. I also just put the total amount right over the total possible at the bottom of the page.
iarunner is offline   Reply With Quote

neanea

Old 11-12-2010, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Wow! Learn something new everyday. In all my school experiences of myself or my kids, a check mark through the question means it is wrong. This if from different states even. Majority of the teachers don't even leave a mark for correct answers, makes the papers too messy and confusing. I have noticed though, some students, when correcting another's paper will put stars on all the correct answers. Again, that makes it too cluttered and messy that it is hard to spot the wrong marks.
neanea is offline   Reply With Quote

lynn6

Old 11-12-2010, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

This post is too funny! I have never heard of or seen a check for a right answer (although now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense). I don't see why you would mark a correct answer at all! That would be confusing. That said, it doesn't matter how you mark the paper. The parent (and student) should be able to figure it out!
lynn6 is offline   Reply With Quote

sassymollasi

Funny
Old 11-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

"X" the number of the wrong answer, put a "C" by the number of a correct answer.

i think what this proves is there is no "Right" way to mark a paper! Do your students understand? If so, then no worries!

I personally think this is an example of a parent LOOKING for something to complain about. Don't give it one more thought.
sassymollasi is offline   Reply With Quote

PinkDelicious

Wow!
Old 11-12-2010, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

This is crazy! I have never heard of using a check mark for a wrong answer. Here we use check marks for correct answers and either x or circled for wrong answer. I think marking correct answers is like a written way of saying "#1 is correct. Check! #2 is correct. Check! #3 is wrong. X (I imagine a buzzer going off)" Oh and I was also taught in college to NOT use a red pen because it discourages students. Use a blue, purple, or green instead
PinkDelicious is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

Marking Wrong Answers
Old 11-12-2010, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

As a sub, I try to find a copy of an already corrected page in the classroom, so I can copy the teacher's method. I rarely see correct answers marked at all, unless the teacher wants to compliment a student on an exceptional written response. Most often here, a slash or check is used. Much easier to count up the correct answers for the score on top. Yes, when I was a student, teachers always wrote "-X" to show the number wrong, but now it is almost always "+X out of Y." I figure it is a new agey self esteem thing, and it DOES actually make it more difficult to use "EZ Grader," to mark the percentage on top, as the little card always lists number wrong on the vertical list.
BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mable007

Old 11-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I always use a circle to indicate a wrong answer. A check would be correct.
mable007 is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

pen color
Old 11-12-2010, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

oh wow - I ONLY use green or purple to mark tests....I also was told never to use red when I was in school!!
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

deb603

Old 11-12-2010, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I use a circle for wrong and if they fix it, I put a K next to it. So then it says OK, as in now it is correct. I don't mark correct answers. I also try not to use a red pen for correcting.
deb603 is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleigh_60

correcting papers
Old 11-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

How interesting! I never imagined that there would be this many different responses. Personally, I just mark incorrect answers with an X and leave the correct answers alone. Check marks on correct answers distract me, but I'm weird like that. I do sometimes correct the wrong answer or point out what part of the answer was wrong. I write a -3 or whatever they missed and a percent score at the top. As far as pen color, I just use whatever I can get my hands on.

I can sort of see the confusion, but why wait until the middle of November to ask about it.
ashleigh_60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

We use check marks but..
Old 11-12-2010, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

We all use check marks at my school but it confuses our Hispanic families. They tell me that in Mexico a check mark means "correct". I discovered that when a dad looked at a spelling test with almost all of the words marked wrong with a check mark. He gave his boy a big ol hug and said, "I am so proud of your!". I didn't know what to say. Our interpreter helped explain what the marks meant. Crazy!
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Truman'sMom

Old 11-12-2010, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I do not mark the correct answers. I mark incorrect answers with and x or a slash. I haven't ever had a parent confused about the system -I wonder if it is becasue using marks only on incorrect answers keeps the paper cleaner.....

Anyway, I was also taught to NEVER use a red pen. Personally, who cares! A wrong answer is still wrong no matter what color it is graded in. Won't the kids dislike purple if their entire paper is purple? Sometimes I think the crap they fill us up on in our college classes is ridiculous! I grade in any color of pen that is handy.
Truman'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
TeacherBB

TeacherBB

Old 11-12-2010, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I mark a C for correct and an X for wrong.

westernteach

wrong answers
Old 11-12-2010, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Wow, so many different answers....and we are all correct!

I circle incorrect answers and then if a student corrects it, I put a K next to the circle (then it says OK).
westernteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Reet

Interesting
Old 11-12-2010, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

to see how so many people check their papers. Here a check mark means that it is wrong. We do not mark correct answers. With the students I have this year I had to start correcting with a highlighter. They were telling me they couldn't see the check marks in order to fix the problems they had wrong. With a highlighter they can't use "I didn't know which ones were wrong" as an excuse not to fix their incorrect answers.
Reet is offline   Reply With Quote

sassymollasi

pen color
Old 11-12-2010, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

PINK... rollerball pen, my favorite, always use it to correct papers.
sassymollasi is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Old 11-12-2010, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I remember being told not to use red, because "it is a blow to the child's self-esteem to see his paper marked up in red ink if he does not do well on the assignment or test." But I agree with the PP who said, what difference does it make ? If you use purple or pink or green instead, the paper is still going to be equally marked up. How is it any less depressing to a kid to see it marked up in a color other than red ?
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

pro/new2grade

Check = correct here
Old 11-12-2010, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I use a check mark to indicate correct points or parts of answers in open ended and essay questions. If I am looking for 3 examples or 4 facts, I put a check mark over or next to each correct response so that students understand where I get the total of the points.

Students who self check put a check mark next to correct answers to show that they actually checked them and they were correct (task cards, centers, etc...)

Incorrect answers get an X and incomplete or unanswered questions get circled (in that way if they come up later and say "I got this right and you marked it wrong" if it is circled, I know that there was nothing filled in and there was some dishonesty happening.)

This is the way that most of my team mates do it and papers were marked when I was growing up.

I would be a little confused to see check marks for incorrect answers on my childrens' work, however it wouldn't take too long to figure out -- come on, the parent seems to be trying to be a PIA
pro/new2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

coltsteacher

Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Jumping on a long thread...

I mostly circle the problem OR put an X through it.

I always write + __/__ on the paper and circle it too.

Sometimes I put checks as I'm grading on the ones that are right. I use many colors and writing utensils.

That Dad is out of line. Come on now! If you were putting checks for WRONG answers and nothing on the RIGHT answers than they should have thought all the ones without checks were wrong and started examining it awhile ago, IMO.

Also - to hand back papers I hold onto them for about a week - week & a half, and then I pass them back in the mailboxes. I staple the whole graded packet together. Sometimes I have the kids review the packet, write one thing they were proud of, and one thing they want to improve -- and if they need help/reteaching, didn't follow directions, simple mistakes, etc. so they are looking at their work. Other times I have parents sign a little 1/2 sheet saying they reviewed the packet and then they can let me know if they have questions/comments/found grading errors. Parents like this method because it's easy to see a snapshot of how the kid is doing in school. They also find it easy to review the papers with the kids. ) Just a little, more simple idea I came up with last year!

GOOD LUCK with crazy dad!
coltsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

EmilyS

marking
Old 11-12-2010, 06:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I circle incorrect, and do the +10/12 type thing at the top along with a plus sign, check plus, check, check minus, or minus sign.
EmilyS is offline   Reply With Quote

leonsicecream

Honestly I don't care how anyone corrects
Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

papers. What ever floats your boat!

But... The confusion comes in when the kids come from a teacher who marks the paper differently than I do. For awhile my kids thought all the check marks were correct answers and thought they were doing well. That is until I caught on. So, whatever the procedure, I think it would be helpful to have consistency among schools.
leonsicecream is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

interesting
Old 11-13-2010, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

to see so many different ways!

Here a circle " O " means right and people raise their arms over their head to signal yes. Crossing your arms like the letter X means NO here. (I get that a lot here ha ha) thus the logic for the grading here.

Also very interesting about the color used to grade. I do NOT use red (as red ink is used to insult someone here and is also associated with blood/death)
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

All the responses have been very helpful to me. I understand why many use different symbols, and it is interesting!

I would guess that you all realized I was surprised that no matter what symbol I used to mark incorrect answers, it couldn't be figured out and obviously was a very sore spot for this Dad.

The parents are intelligent people with professional careers. Their other child is in our gifted and talented program. The expectations for their child in my classroom are very, very high.

These are the symbols that were used when I was in school and college, as well as for my own children. This is the first time in my 18+ year career anyone has mentioned my grading symbols.

So, to join the rest of you I:
checkmark incorrect answers
use a variety of colored pens (love those Uniball pens!) including the occasional red
do not mark correct answers with any symbol. They stand on their own merit
will write +52/60 if 52 answers are correct out of 60 questions
will write a letter grade and a percentage if I am putting the grade in my gradebook and not just checking the paper over.

Oh, and BTW, I'm not changing anything

Jon K.

Jon K.

band director
Old 12-18-2011, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I grew up in Iowa in the 80's. A correct answer was left alone, a wrong answer was marked with a checkmark. I use the same system now. I teach in Texas, and all the students are confused by my marks.
Mme Karnowsk

Mme Karnowsk

What do check marks mean?...
Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I grew up with check marks being used to mark incorrect answers, and stars to mark correct answers. I'm teaching English at a Belgian public school and the students were very confused when I handed back their tests today as they are used to a check mark meaning correct and an x meaning incorrect. In the Cambridge book they also use a check mark to indicate a positive response and a x to mean a negative response. I've been looking for an article on the subject as I figured this is a good teachable moment to explain cultural differences, but have yet to find an academic article. I'm going to start circling incorrect answers. That way I'm not confused by the check marks and neither are the students confused.

whatever

I didn't realize that checkmarks
Old 10-15-2012, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

could indicate a correct answer until computer and video games used them...

To me, like many others, correct answers where not marked and a variety of marks meant wrong answers: x, checks, circled, etc.
whatever is online now   Reply With Quote