qualitative vs. quantitative - ProTeacher Community

1stgradeisgr8

qualitative vs. quantitative
Old 12-11-2010, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any fun and interesting ways to teach qualitative and quantitative changes over time? It is one of our first grade strands, but our math series doesn't cover it. I've had a hard time finding some interesting ways to teach it. Please help!

1stgradeisgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Weird strand for 1st
Old 12-11-2010, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good Grief! The first thing that comes to mind is to use something like my very favorite thing: chocolate.

You can have them sample varying degrees of chocolate- ness eg. bakers chocolate, semi-sweet, dark chocolate, milk chocolate and decide on a range of qualitative change. Then show varying amounts of chocolate from a chip to a giant Hershey's bar for quantitative change.

I'd use the words quality and quantity interchangeably with qualitative and quantitative because the kids may get lost in the syllables.

You might also use some cloth pieces from burlap to silken to do a quality change using the sense of touch.
Again piling up some of each for quantity examples.

You might use a cheap plastic car and one expensive, finely detailed metal car, etc. I'm thinking the dollar store and a few single examples from a toy store might also set you up for quality comparisons.

Good luck. Weird standard. IMHO
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote