What does "snow days built into the calendar mean?" - ProTeacher Community

kyteacher1

What does "snow days built into the calendar mean?"
Old 01-10-2011, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We were talking about this today at our grade group meeting and no one really knew what this means. It seems like for many yrs Louisville went through a snow drought and snow days weren't an issue, but over the last few years we are getting 4 or 5 every yr and 2 yrs ago we had 10 (5 was a freak windstorm that immobilized the whole city).

In our district we tack on days at the end which puts us going to school into early June every year and we start school in early August so this cycle has pretty much sucked. For those that have snow days "built in" do you all do something different when you have snow days? Do you not make them up at the end of the year? If you have them built in & get no snow days do you get out earlier? Just curious.
Thanks & happy snow days to those that like them. I use to but going to school til June is AWFUL!!!!

Mrs. Hos

Ugh
Old 01-10-2011, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Okay so last year in DC we had like a freakish amount of snow. We had like 14 snow days. Our district has around 11 or 12 built in. We had obviously used them all and then added on 10 minutes everyday from March-June to make up the last 3 or 4. It's so hard for us to add on days because we already don't get out until June 23rd without snow days.

So we have these 11 or 12 built in, but if we don't use them, then we don't get out earlier. I was just talking to a coworker today and wondering why, with all the budget mess, they wouldn't give us a tentative get out date without snow days and then one with. That would be almost 2 weeks they wouldn't have to run buses, schools, lunches, etc. Seems to me that it would save a lot of money to let us out if we don't use them.

teach2reach

In NC
Old 01-10-2011, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our built in snow days: if they are not used as snow days, some are teacher workdays and some are vacation days.

Tomorrow will be our 4th snow day this year so far. So we have lost 2 teacher workdays and 2 of our spring break days.

BTW- I used to go to school at Barrett TMS in Louisville many moons ago!

hot4teachr

Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have two built in days.

We get a 4 day Memorial Day Weekend. If it snows once, we only get a 3 day weekend.

Our spring/easter break is Good Fri-thru Tues. If we get a second snow day, we lose the Tues, and just have a 4 day spring break.

A third day means we start tacking them on at the end...We go until June 13, unless we have to add on.

kestchr3

Old 01-10-2011, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my district our school day is 30 minutes longer than the state mandates. The extra time is stockpiled to give us the built in days. If we do not use them then they are lost; in other words we are not paid for them and the school calendar is not shortened. If we do need to use the days then we do not have to add them to the calendar later.

1kyteacher

Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My district has "built in" days. We get them by having extended time
in our regular school day. It's just a few minutes each day, but enough
time to build up 5 days. So, if we miss 10 days for snow only 5 are
added to end end of the year because of the 5 built in days. We always
end up missing way more than that.

Teacher Lady

Old 01-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have 180 days. There are OSE days (outside school environment) days and they can be converted to instructional days if needed due to cancellations (snow and/or flood days). Other holidays are "outside the calendar" and cannot be taken away no matter what. When we vote on a calendar, the issue of whether the Spring Break is OSE or "outside the calendar" is a big deal. Our Spring Break is untouchable this year, but we lose our long weekend at Easter and add 6 days at the end of the year. We cannot go past June 10 b/c our service personnel lobby is WAY strong, and their employment term from first to last day cannot exceed a given # of consecutive days.

linda2671

Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our district also goes more minutes each day. That way, we build in about 8 or 9 days that can be used if it snows. The last 2 years, since the economy has been so bad, they have taken 2 days off of the calendar at the end of the year. That saves money because they don't have to run buses, pay paras, or serve meals. They said it ended up saving us several thousand dollars.

Krissy

Old 01-10-2011, 06:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our school calendar has them built in. Basically extra days are tacked on to Spring Break and Memorial Day weekend. If we don't use any then we keep those extra days as an added bonus to our breaks. Every time we use a snow day, we lose one of those extra days. Not too sure what happens if we lose more than the allotted "extra" days. Let's hope I don't find out!

EMO109

snow days
Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

For us, the students have to go 180 days & there are 4 teacher workdays for a total of 184 days. However, we are in school for 189 days on the calendar, which builds in 5 snow days. If we don't use all 5, we do get them back at the end(usually one gets added to Memorial Day to make a 4 day weekend, one gets added to spring break, and others are random Friday or Mondays in May/June to make 3 day weekends. If we go over 5 snow days, we lose days from our spring break for each additional day.

ecsmom

Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Our built in snow days are also due to going extra mins each day. We have 13, 2 are used for staff development, the rest for foul weather events. If we don't use them then we don't get the time back so i don't mind using them during snow and floods.

School Time

more days in the calendar than we need
Old 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have 183 school days in the calendar. We need 180 days. If we don't use the 3 extra days, we get out earlier.

garnet

snow days
Old 01-10-2011, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Ours are not called Snow Days anymore because school can be canceled for other reasons such as water main breaks, no electrical, etc. Anyway, they are built in which means we don't have to make those days up however...we are not lucky enough to get them off if not used I've often asked about that.

luckysanders

Snow Days
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm enjoying all of these posts about snow days. Since I am in Florida it is something I will never get to experience. We do, however, have BUILT IN HURRICANE DAYS. If we miss a day for a hurricane or tropical storm, we make it up by giving up a day of vacation at Thanksgiving or Winter Break. This way we don't have to go much longer into the summer. Since your snow days come later in the year, our district would probably tack them on the end.

Ima Teacher

Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Our students go extra minutes every day, so there are three days that we can work without students and count the days.

We used one today.

Tomorrow makes 11.5 days, and we've only made up the one with a staff day today.

Last year we missed 18 snow days and 1 flood day. We didn't get ANY days off (except those) after Christmas. We even went on Saturday.

In my 18 years with the district, the fewest days we've missed was 9. The most was 26. We joke that we get out the first week of June no matter how many days we miss.

jch

Days Built In
Old 01-10-2011, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am the facilitator for our district's calendar committee. First, our state goes by hours instead of days. The state does allow one "emergency closure day" that does not affect our ADA if we take it. Our district adds the equivalent of 2 more days.

If we don't use those 2 days, we get out of school a couple days early! Let me tell you, THAT has changed people's thoughts on praying to the Snow Gods for blizzards!

teabreak

snow days
Old 01-10-2011, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

If we don't utilize our snow days then we get them as a mini vacation towards the end of the year.

crackerjill

Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

In Florida we had "hurricane make up days" instead of snow days....same idea though! The days were either random days off throughout the year, or teacher work days, and if we didn't have a hurricane or use the days, we just got a 3 day weekend or a workday without meetings.

There was usually one around memorial day, and usually the Friday of Halloween (if it was the weekend or a Friday).

If we ever used all of our days (which none of my schools ever did) they add days to the end of the year. Back a few years ago when there were TONS of hurricanes and all of the schools were being used as shelters for weeks, the schools were closed and I think they had to go late into the summer. (Not 100% sure on that, I was in college not teaching, so maybe they didn't go that far into the summer? But I know alot of schools were out for at least a week if not more.)

grammam

Old 01-10-2011, 09:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We get 4 days built into our calendar. If we don't have 4 snow days, we get out that many days earlier at the end of the year. We usually use them, though. Our district requires about a foot of snow the night before in order to call a snow day. Once we got a day off because the bus lines froze!! We're pretty hearty around here though, so 3-4 days off is pretty normal.

amherstteach

Old 01-11-2011, 06:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

In Ohio everyone gets 3 snow days before they have to be made up. It used to be 5 but our last governor changed it for this school year. Supposedly Kasich is changing it back to 5 next year.

In addition we have one built into our calender. There is a random Monday is May that we go to school on if we hit 4 snow days. If we have 3 or less snow days we have the day off. This way we wouldn't have to arrange for days to be added onto the end of the year. Because of graduation this would be difficult. We reserve a local college arena for our graduation so we couldn't really add onto the end of the year...at least for the senior class. As it is the senior class is done 2-4 days earlier than the rest of the district.