Why does my digital scale do this? Meanie! - ProTeacher Community

tammynj

Why does my digital scale do this? Meanie!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I am in the process of losing weight. It's going pretty well, but my digital scale (which is new, I bought it in Jan.) lies! I have to get off and on it several times and it will give a different reading each time. So I get about 6 or 7 readings, and then go with the number that came up the most. Usually, the readings are fairly close, but sometimes it can be two or three pounds difference. (I live in an old house, so realize the floors might not be totally flat - in fact, I know they are not. But I have a level and found the flattest area and that's where I put the scale)

The thing that drives me really batty, though, it when I weigh myself first thing in the morning. I do my business, take pjs off, then get on the scale. The first reading is ALWAYS a pound less than any subsequent reading. And the second reading is like 5 seconds later. There is no earthly way I have gained a pound in 5 seconds. It's just weird, b/c the morning reading always does this. Exactly a pound, every time. Grrr! Could there be a physiological reason for this?

Last edited by tammynj; 04-22-2011 at 06:54 AM..

shantina

Same Problem
Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have the same problem with my scale. It is crazy. I don't understand it either.

funteacher7

Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also weigh myself in the morning and have to get on twice. The first time is usually higher than the second time. It's like it still has the weight recorded from the last time I stepped on it. Every once in a while I also get 3 different readings. Really strange. And today I weighed myself first thing. Later after breakfast I did again just for kicks and it had a pound less.

Phyllis

Once I researched scales, and . . .
Old 04-22-2011, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

. . . found that some scales do not have this problem as much as others. I don't remember which one was recommended as not having this problem, but you could check it out. It sure is maddening when you are trying so hard.
You can read Good Housekeeping's review of scales here:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/prod...athroom-scales

Last edited by Phyllis; 04-22-2011 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: To add something

gottaread

Old 04-22-2011, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

YES! Same thing with my digital scale. Drives me crazy. I am thinking about buying a doctor's scale---the kind you step on and slide the weights across at the top. They are the most consistent and accurate from what I've read. The only problem is they are BIG. Might need to put it in the basement. On the other hand, I guess as long as my scale is doing a downward trend, I guess that's okay. It's just a number and I can tell more by how my clothes fit anyway. And, yes! I am between sizes right now which is maddening. Last night I went through my closet and got rid of two bags of clothes that are too baggy now. Only problem now is I only have a couple pairs of pants that fit. Guess it's a good problem but I don't want to spend the money on new ones if I keep losing.

h0kie

Scale
Old 04-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yeah....I'm on scale #5 since June. They keep dying (in different ways) on me. I'm beginning to think it's me. One I even checked about getting replaced via the warranty. I had to send them ALL the original packaging, the receipt, and a letter stating what was wrong. Uh, no thanks, I'll just buy a new one. WHO KEEPS ALL THAT!?

I'd suggest a new scale.