New to Gifted Education - ProTeacher Community

Sunshineee

New to Gifted Education
Old 03-27-2011, 12:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I am new to Gifted Education! I am walking into a situation where there is no established curriculum. I see my students in relatively small groups (anywhere from 2 to 10). I need to work out some projects/activities that will take me to the end of the year!

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!!

: )

Thanks,
Sun

Sunshineee is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 03-27-2011, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach gifted education too and, like you, am new in the job. There was no curriculum and no guidance when I started at the beginning of the year either.

For those kids who are advanced in math, I gave assessments to see how far ahead they are. (I have first graders, for example, who are at the third grade level.) I use those assessments to determine what to teach next -- just like you would in a regular classroom. I also do a lot of logic puzzles, "real world" math applications (like figuring out square footage of a house to paint), and story problems, story problems, story problems.

For other subjects, I just decided to let the kids choose what they want to learn. So I say, "If you could learn about anything this year, what would you want to learn?" I sometimes give them ideas, but I was surprised at how quickly they generated a list of topics. Everything from Egyptian pyramids to why do airplanes stay up. After we have a list created, the pull-out group votes on what project they want to do.

So far, my groups have studied body systems (made outlines of their bodies and then detailed the circulatory system or skeletal system - 2nd grade), designed their own cities (4th grade), wrote and filmed a play about the Salem Witch Trials (4th grade), done a series of chemistry experiments (5th grade), and designed aliens adapted to live on different planets (2nd grade).

We are now creating a rainforest in my room. This is a group project that the TAG kids from 3rd-5th are working on together. They are really excited about it, to the point of wanting to stay after school to work on it.

I'm not sure if this is what I'm supposed to do for TAG, but it sure has made the year fun and different. Good luck with your kids!
Izzy23 is online now   Reply With Quote

TiggerPooh

Gifted
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would suggest that you read Susan Weinbeger's (?) book - Teaching Gifted Children in the Regular Classroom. It has a lot of good things that you can do to challenge and track thier work (differentiating, compacting the curriculium). I would first start with pre-assessing your students in Math to find out where they are so that you aren't repeating anything (gifted students will get very frustrated if you repeat stuff they already know). After begin with items that they scored less than 90% on the test. Usually gifted students learn material very quickly, so only spend time on it until they have proficiency and then move on to another topic. If you are working with them in Language Arts, you can pre-assess as well. For older students, you can do with as well with Science and SS and have them do projects for you that are related to the topic that you will be teaching or something that is interesting to them. Make sure that you use a contract to keep them on task.
I found the above book very helpful. I would also look into taking some gifted courses if there are any available in your area.
TiggerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote

smithleen

Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree that Weinberger's book is a great resource. I also had success with enriching Math with books from Prufrock- Math Enrichment Units. IN addition< i pushed my 2nd grade G/T/kids with ideas from the Process standard series, particularly porblem solving. I had to tread lightly and not "step" on 3rd grade curriculum, but enrich their experience. It helped mature their Math thinking, and made them willing to take on more challenging problems.
smithleen is offline   Reply With Quote

SKate

3rd Year
Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hello! I am starting my 3rd year in a pullout GT program. I would love to share ideas as there was no curriculum when I started either. I see 3, 4, and 5th grades--a math group for each and a language arts group for each. I am a huge believer in choice, so we do lots of independent/small group projects. I try to tie it in with their curriculum somehow, but it doesn't always fit exactly. I use Graeme Base booksets which the kids LOVE. I am constantly working on different management techniques (i.e. colored folders, etc.) as I don't have much time with the kids and don't have my own room! Would love to bounce ideas off each other.

ShanKate

SKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Prettysqueaky

Old 07-16-2011, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

U-STARS for K-2 science and literacy

William and Mary Units 1-2 Beyond Words and 4-5 Figurative Language/Expressive Literacy
Prettysqueaky is offline   Reply With Quote