Someone help please! - ProTeacher Community

Needing help

Needing help

Someone help please!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there,
I am currently working on my degree. For one my classes, I need interview a teacher. Would someone mind answering these questions? Thanks in advance!!

(1) Why did you choose to go into education as a career?

(2) Would you recommend the education profession to others? Why or why not?

(3) Are there any other teachers in your family? If so, who?

(4) What is your highest level of education?

(5) How long have you been an educator?

(6) What is your greatest challenge as an educator?

(7) How do you balance the demands of your profession with the political realities of the education system?

(8) Do you live in the community that you work in? If yes, do you believe that it is important for educators to live in the community in which they work? Why or why not?

(9) Who was your greatest educational influence?

(10) What is the greatest benefit of being an educator?

NJ Teacher

Answers to your questions
Old 08-27-2011, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

(1) Why did you choose to go into education as a career? I chose education as a career because when I was younger, I worked as a day camp counselor, starting at age 14. I loved working with kids of all ages, and had lots of chances through the years to work in the day camp.

(2) Would you recommend the education profession to others? Why or why not? It is a wonderful profession, but I wouldn't recommend it in these times. It is very difficult to land a job, the political climate doesn't favor educators, and the test-driven mentality makes the job very stressful.

(3) Are there any other teachers in your family? If so, who? My uncle is a college professor, and my cousin is a speech therapist. I also had a cousin who passed away who was a pre-school educator.

(4) What is your highest level of education? I have a Master's degree plus 45 additional hours.

(5) How long have you been an educator? I started in September 1976, so I am starting my 35th year.

(6) What is your greatest challenge as an educator? It is dealing with parents and students who do not show respect and question everything. Because everyone has been to school, they often think that they have the expertise to do your job, sometimes resulting in less than professional treatment.

(7) How do you balance the demands of your profession with the political realities of the education system? I love working with the kids, so I focus on them while involving myself in my union activities and professional organizations and reading to better the profession.

(8) Do you live in the community that you work in? If yes, do you believe that it is important for educators to live in the community in which they work? Why or why not? I did when I first started teaching in another district, but now live in a neighboring town for my present job. I think where the teacher lives should be an individual choice. When I lived in the community, it was a small rural one, and people actually told me when they sighted my car! The advantages of living in the community was that you understood the issues of the community and the students' backgrounds, but you could do that from a neighboring town if you educate yourself.

(9) Who was your greatest educational influence? I had wonderful teachers myself, most notably my first grade, fourth grade, sixth grade and my middle school social studies and English teacher. I was also influenced by Dr. Dorothy Watson and Dr. Jerry Harste, two professors of education who inspired me by their knowledge and passion for literacy and their willingness to share it.

(10) What is the greatest benefit of being an educator? Knowing that your influence has left a mark on so many lives. Recently, I joined Facebook and re-connected with many of my former students, who are now grown themselves. Their memories that they shared of having me were very special, as hopefully are mine of them.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
newatprek
Old 08-27-2011, 08:34 PM
This message has been deleted by newatprek. Reason: Not in a good mood

NJ Teacher

I hope my answers help you...
Old 08-27-2011, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Good luck with your degree and your teaching career!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

My response
Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

(1) Why did you choose to go into education as a career?
I really liked to learn when I was in school. I volunteered in classrooms when I was starting college and liked it so I went the education route.
(2) Would you recommend the education profession to others? Why or why not?
I would not recommend it to others. I am far too stressed out and unhappy to feel like I would recommend it to someone else. I am trying to get away from the classroom, but it's tough in this economy. My goal is to stay in education somehow though.

(3) Are there any other teachers in your family? If so, who? Nope.

(4) What is your highest level of education? Master's degree in math curriculum

(5) How long have you been an educator? Eight years

(6) What is your greatest challenge as an educator? Classroom management. I'm good at it, but it drives me nuts. Partly because I feel I'm doing a parent's job sometimes and also because I get "rewarded" with a behavior problem the next year because I did so well this year.

(7) How do you balance the demands of your profession with the political realities of the education system? I really have gotten involved in the union so I know my rights and also to know what should be reasonably expected of me. There are other things too, but the union has helped me a lot.

(8) Do you live in the community that you work in? If yes, do you believe that it is important for educators to live in the community in which they work? Why or why not? I do live in the community where I work. I know some people just don't want to bump into their students on the weekends and at events. I don't care. I don't think it is a requirement to be involved as a teacher.

(9) Who was your greatest educational influence? I really liked my fourth grade teacher. In high school, I had a few teachers who I really liked as well. I thought about going into high school teaching because of them, but then thought better of it.

(10) What is the greatest benefit of being an educator?I'm a little negative right now. You probably want something like "I like making a difference" or "I have always wanted to do this, so I don't feel like it's a job." I really like the schedule. It was a natural flow from being a student to being a teacher. It's not the summers off, but it's the structure of a day that I like. My husband laughs at me because he tells me I have a little bit of autism since structure means a lot to me. I just hated the other jobs I had where I had different schedules and weird hours.
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote