Contract hours, being watched, snarky team members- ahhh!! - ProTeacher Community

Home Search My Favorites
Help

New Teachers

Contract hours, being watched, snarky team members- ahhh!!

>

Personne

Contract hours, being watched, snarky team members- ahhh!!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do I make this concise whilst covering everything? Here it goes:

To start off, I am on a brand-new team of 5 teachers (including myself), two of which have been there for 5+ years and the other two are in their second and third year.. I am the 5th wheel. I don't nearly fit in with either set, but I have shown up when I need to, been friendly, been grateful, asked questions, have done what I have needed to do, etc. One of the newer, younger teachers, clearly has it out for me. She looks at the time I leave everyday and has made multiple, passive-aggressive comments about people leaving early, how late she stays, how she doesn't have any free time, how you can't when you are a teacher, etc. I have a lot of areas to improve upon, but time-management isn't one of them. I am task-oriented, get my job done, and take work home with me, spending hours grading and planning at home. I have tried to come in on the weekend and plan with her and the other one, but was there for three hours and it was more of a social hour than anything-- we got one hour of one day done, and I left feeling anxious and overwhelmed and more stressed than before. That was enough planning with them for me. The older of the other two teachers has since helped me lesson plan and I am now doing them on my own. We have weekly meetings and lunches where we discuss issues, but we don't have a set day to plan as a team. The only two that do are the two younger ones, and after I tried I said no more, I can do this more efficiently on my own, and so far, I have- we are all on the same page! Well, she has made it known she doesn't like that I don't stay late like she does or plan with the two of them.

I have tried to be friendly to her, but all I have ever heard from her are snarky, mean-spirited comments about other teachers. One teacher was in her room crying, and after she left she told me that that teacher was "crazy" and "insane" and that she was really good at being fake, because she was a cheerleader and a sorority girl, but most people would be surprised to know that she is a fake "bit**"- her exact words! After that I didn't feel so bad about not trying to get to know her.

I posted on here nearly a month ago and things improved for a bit. I have since had an observation where my P told me to observe a veteran teacher (I am a newbie) and then that teacher would come teach my class. All of this I have done, with a smile on my face, even though I don't agree with some of what she had said (she told me that every third grade class should look the same when she walks in, and mine doesn't.. still not 100% on what she meant by that, but it definitely wasn't positive). Well, the veteran teacher is friends with the younger teacher in my grade, and after school when we talked about my class, she asked me point blank if my team lesson plans together, to which I said, some of us, I plan with _____ and ______ sometimes, and she told me I should really be planning with the other, younger two, because they are "good." I said I didn't know when they plan, they have invited me but I never know for sure (not to mention I have no interest in wasting my time) so she said "lets go ask" and we walked over there and asked her when we plan.. to which my team member said we didn't have set days, and the vet was surprised even by this and said"well, could you? because I think (myself) really needs to plan with you guys" and my team member said "well we have invited her. you just can't be a good teacher and do this job and leave by 4 everyday." and then looked at ME. The vet then asked me if I had anything going on in my life outside of work, and why can't I stay late, and could I one day a week stay late to plan, because she said my lesson plans that I do are really good, but I should stay and build a rapport with these teammates of mine...

If I were interested in staying at this school or becoming friends, I would definitely have no problem doing so. If I didn't have a long-distance relationship with a 6 hour time difference, where the only time we can chat is 4:30-5 during the work week, so it is imperative that I manage my time in a way that allows me to maintain my relationship, I would definitely not have a prob. But I am not interested in staying here, I have a job offer at my old school where I was a TA for next year, I do not want to build a friendship with them except for the fake one I have to at school, and I DO have a relationship where the only time we chat is what gets me through each day.

Now.. what should I do? Should I stay and plan with them this week if they invite me? If I do, and they stay til 7 or later, and I have to get up and leave, the looks they will shoot me will be as if I didn't stay and plan with them at all. Not to mention, when they plan, they break it up into two sessions during the week, they plan Mon and Tues, then on Tues they plan Wed-Fri.. Doing that would stress me out majorly. I am uncomfortable... my P didn't ask me to do this, just the vet teacher who is acting like my mentor since we did away with the residency program. The vet said if she were the P, she would make it a requirement to stay two hours late after and plan with your team.. I don't think that is legal? But that is besides the point.

I dread seeing them, I dread going to work knowing they will be there. My near-husband is the only thing that gets me through, and to ask me not to talk to him to stay and build a rapport with people I have no interest in doing so with just doesn't seem right! What should I do?? Sorry this is so long!! I want to be looked at as a "team player" but where does that line end? And even though I am new, who is to say that just bc I am not in the building I am any less dedicated, or that I am not getting my job done, or that I am not a good teacher???

Personne is offline   Reply With Quote

crowcy

Old 10-01-2011, 10:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is there anyway you could switch to a different team next year?

Do you have a union? We do at my school. When I was new, our principal was trying to require meetings (for new teachers) during our lunch time - (eat and meet at same time). Our union put a stop to that. They said that if members begin doing something on their own free will, district can begin to require it (even if it's not in our contract) because of "past practices". So, the next time your mentor mentions something about staying late for planning ask her about this.

If team planning is something you need to do to look like a team player, ask for before school meetings. Your contract probably requires you to be at school a certain amount of time before the students arrive. Use this amount of time. This way you won't get in trouble with the union and with a limited time, the other teachers will have to make better use of the meeting's time.
crowcy is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 10-02-2011, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think you will have to make adjustments and plan with the group. 'Fake' thinking they are wonderful. It is part of playing the game and as the newbie you have to find your place in the team. Today's business of school is all about collaboration and teaming, so you need to get on board. Might suck, but playing the game is part of any job, anywhere..
starley is offline   Reply With Quote

crazytown

Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

YOU know for certain you have the job offer for next year......have you signed a contract...
You are new..and may not even realize the "vibes" you are sending out..not to say that what is happening is ok but ..it takes two to tango.....

I would bend over backwards..is your long distance relationship coing to support you if you are unemployeed due to missing one phone call a week...

I hate to say it..but after over 25 years of teaching..what i see in new teachers is arrogance and an I already know everything and I can do it better attitude...check your attitude and really sould search to see what passive aggressive things you maybe contributing...the power of a well liked tenured teacher is great and can reach far.....
crazytown is offline   Reply With Quote

MNTeacher24

Old 10-26-2011, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You can only control what you can control...meaning what happens in your classroom. (Sometimes this means telling them what they want to hear and doing what you want.) Oh, and leave when you want to leave...great teachers aren't measured by how many hours they stay.

MNTeacher24 is offline   Reply With Quote