Classroom/Behavioral Mangement - ProTeacher Community

kwinter

Classroom/Behavioral Mangement
Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year I was placed in a school where behavior was a problem. While I was teaching there would students that would randomly start to argue over something that happened in the past. Therefore, I had to use more classroom management and behavior management. The school has a school wide behavior management plan. When the students were actively paying attention and participating in the lesson the teacher would hand out a reward card. The student would write his/her name on the reward card and turn it into the basket. At the end of each day, the teacher would draw several cards out of the basket. The students that were picked got to go the candy/treat box. This really motivated the students to participate and pay attention. However, this year I have been placed in a classroom where the student’s behavior is relatively good. I rarely have any behavior problems. I taught my first lesson a little while ago and my college supervisor wants to see me use more classroom/behavior management. While I was teaching when a student would get an answer correct or if they were on the right path, I would say “good job”, “great idea”, and other saying like that. The school does not have any school wide behavior management plan. In this particular classroom, candy and food cannot be given out because there are allergies and a student has a medical problem. I am not sure when system I could implement in my future lessons to demonstrate I have grown in classroom and behavior management. Does anyone have any ideas!?

kwinter is offline   Reply With Quote

LawrenceRose

Intangible Rewards
Old 10-10-2011, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What grade level are you teaching? If you are comfortable using the plan you used previously, maybe you could try a similiar plan, but instead of rewarding with food (this is frowned upon in many schools anyway), maybe you could try intangible rewards?

Maybe let the students choose coupons for simple things like:

-use a special pencil all day
-spend the day in their socks (when they are in the classroom)
-sit in the teacher's chair
-sit at the teacher's desk
-sit on the floor or anywhere they want in the room to do their work
-be line leader for the day
-be the class helper for the day
-eat lunch in the classroom with a friend
-extra computer time
-free time instead of morning work

Things like that - be creative. Keep it simple, & use things that don't cost you any money and don't require prep time on your part. Also, since I'm not sure what grade level you are working in, make sure it is age-appropriate for your kids. Just a thought!
LawrenceRose is offline   Reply With Quote

kwinter

Old 10-12-2011, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am working with fourth grade. They are a very high energy group of students. I like the ideas, but I would have to make sure my teacher is willing to help with some of the rewards.
kwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
arhimer

arhimer

classroom management in a well behaved class
Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had my clinical placement with a very well behaved first grade class. The entire school, in fact was very respectful towards one another and there weren't nearly as many problems with previous schools I have been in. Though I do believe that schools where students have more behavior problems should have a more extensive behavior program set in place, I do not believe that those schools or classrooms that are well behaved shouldn't have a behavior system set up. Even in this very well behaved class, we had a PBIS set up where children would have to change there cards when bad and put the corresponding color of their card on a chart to take home each day along with a marble jar for students to fill with their good behaviors and then we would have a class party when it was filled. A management system, primarily a behavior program is essential for any classroom to run smoothly and effectively. Failure to have such a system may result in a slow lack of management and control in the classroom. Problems may start to arise throughout the different classes due to the lack of consequences or supports of the PBIS. The use of verbal and intrinsic rewards is great. I really like the idea of giving coupons for good behavior such as a day in their socks, or sitting in the teachers chair, etc. That is a great motivator. I also love the marble jar idea since this involves the entire class to work together to earn their prize which means they motivate and help each other be good. Your classroom should have both individual and group support systems as it comes to behavior management.