New Teacher and new to ESL/ESOL help! - ProTeacher Community

Lsulli10

New Teacher and new to ESL/ESOL help!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone!

I just graduated with my Elem Ed degree and I am ESOL(ESL/ELL not sure what other states are now calling it) endorsed. I was lucky enough to get a job teaching 1st & 3rd grade ESOL reading. The woman who had my job before me went into early labor so I was kind of thrown into the position without much guidance. I'm working closely with my school's reading coach to learn how my new school does things (Readers Workshop) but I just wondered if some of the more experienced teachers in this area had any advice. Most of my students are very low (all but one are speakers) and even those who are approaching grade level have some trouble with vocab and pronunciation. Any tips or tricks for helping them with phonics & stamina?

Thanks!

Lsulli10 is offline   Reply With Quote

monteverde199

New teacher
Old 12-14-2011, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use the "Florida Center for Reading Research" (fccr) for phonics instruction and I use the "Avenues" series for vocabulary, comprehension, speaking, listening, and writing. The stamina will come the longer they are in this country.
monteverde199 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Siop
Old 12-14-2011, 10:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

SIOP would be a good resource as well. It's the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol. It started as a check list for lesson planning and strategy support and has evolved into excellent support methods for teaching ELLs. The main books are Making Content Comprehensible for Elementary or Secondary (there are two different books now) English Learners.

Really good resource for new and experienced teachers.

In Avenues check out the support charts with information on various languages' differences from English syntax (eg. verb at the end of the sentence or gender articles) and sounds used. They also have lots of other good supports at the back of the Teacher's Editions.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Lsulli10

:-)
Old 12-15-2011, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks! I'll check all those things out!
Lsulli10 is offline   Reply With Quote

elltch

vocabulary
Old 12-16-2011, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Frontloading vocabulary is key. Don't worry about pronunciation, that will come on it's own. Previewing the book and pointing out key words is important. Build as much background knowledge BEFORE reading as you can.

elltch is offline   Reply With Quote

pen&paper

Old 12-16-2011, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

As you introduce new vocabulary, write down the words. Then, as you are writing those words, emphatically pronounce those letters. That way, they'll not only get the correlationship between lettters and sounds, but they also see and hear what those sounds are.

I teach 3rd grade and I am so disappointed at how my students, who are Spanish speakers at home, can not read and they absolutely can not spell.
pen&paper is offline   Reply With Quote