Would quitting mid-year destroy my career? - ProTeacher Community

Home Search My Favorites
Help

New Teachers

Would quitting mid-year destroy my career?

>

Mona25

Would quitting mid-year destroy my career?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year teacher who is considering quitting my job mid-year. However, am afraid of the consequences later on. Here is my situation. I am a newlywed whose husband found a teaching job in our ideal town. This ideal town is 2.5 hours away from me and we have been having a long-distance marriage since the start of the school year. It is so hard and I am depressed every day.

A long-term sub position is opening in his district that will start in January. I am considering applying for it since it would mean that I get to see my husband, and live/work in the town we've always wanted! However, I am afraid that a principal would see my quitting mid-year as a negative and I'd never get hired again. At this point, my teaching and my life is suffering, but I don't want to destroy all the effort and time I've put into becoming a teacher. I'm at a charter school, so I don't have an actual contract, if that makes a difference...

Any advice would be appreciated, especially if you're a principal!

Mona25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bertie

quitting mid year?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are NOT QUITTING! You are moving to where your husband has a job. People do this all the time! Compose your resignation, focussed on that information, turn it in asap, giving your board all the notice you can for hiring, and smile brightly because you will soon be living with the man you just married for heavens sake! Meanwhile, in the month (or so) that you remain in the school, do your best in the classroom, and continue to learn and grow in your profession. And good luck!
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote

Mona25

Old 09-26-2011, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Bertie,

This is what I have hoped to hear for the past month and a half! Thank you for your kind words and clarity on the situation! It is truly appreciated! I hope my future principals feel the same way

Thank you for your time to respond and make my day!

subczy

Difference??
Old 09-29-2011, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There is always usually a main bread winner in a two adult family. It has been my experience that the family moves to where the main bread winner's job/career takes them. It has been decided that your dh is in the "lead" position at this point in your family and so you have to give notice and leave. it is not THAT big of a deal.

As a teacher it will be hard if you end up having to make a habit b/c you won't get tenured but a one time move is not a death sentence! You will of course have to consider the economy but that is a seperate issue and JMHO not worth a marriage suffering over.

I am sure teachers are spouses of people in professions that require they move often when people ask why you left simply state my dh's work took him x city.

of course, give the required notice and be pleasant b/c you never want to burn a bridge and then get on and enjoy your life!!
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2tch81

Old 10-09-2011, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I completly agree that your marriage should be a priority. I believe that most future Princ will look at it as a change in location and not "quitting."

Have fun being a newlywed LIVING with your Hubby!

luv2tch81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mona25

Old 10-12-2011, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It gives me so much hope to hear all of these positive responses. Of course, it will not be a habit- I have too strong of a work ethic for that and besides, we are moving to where we have always wanted! Thanks so much for your time!

crazytown

Old 10-24-2011, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hate to rain on your paraded..but why did you take the job to begin with....suck it up and deal..you made a committment to THE students IN YOUR CLASSROOM.....It may end up OK but it may not...

Teaching jobs in my state are hard to get.....again why did you accept the job knowing you were a newlywed?? New marrages have lived through far worse....

BUT ..talk with your principle honestly..tell them all the pieces..and see what they say..
are you sure you will get the long term position...

It would look much better to me to finish your year in your current job, then sub in your husbands district......
crazytown is offline   Reply With Quote
ElinH

ElinH

Its just a charter school
Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Its just a charter school. I would be a little concerned if it were a school district. But in my experience, school districts don't care what you did when you worked in a charter school. They look down on them. And if the charter school wanted to make sure you stayed they should have offered you a contract like a school district instead of being at wil. I would take a long term sub position in a school district over a full-time job in a charter school anyday. Do what makes you happy! Your marriage should definately come first!

Munchkins

Apply for the job, and give your notice
Old 01-08-2012, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

And then go and live with your husband!!! You are not quitting, you are relocating! I wouldn't recommend breaking your contract- it should state how much notice is necessary. My district requires 90 days, but can let someone go sooner. Even if you don't get the long-term job, you should go and be with your husband. You'll find something. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote