What are my chances at getting a job for the fall? - ProTeacher Community

Home Search My Favorites
Help

Career Decisions

What are my chances at getting a job for the fall?

>

krminnj

What are my chances at getting a job for the fall?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm about to receive my alternate route certification (Certificate of Eligibility) in NJ for K-12 Social Studies. I'm 30 years old, and after receiving by BA in political science I went on to enter a Phd program in that field. I passed my comps, etc., but before I finished my dissertation I realized I did not want to enter academia and quit the program. I left with my MA.

As part of the program I was a graduate teaching assistant. I ran discussion sessions with undergrad and grad students. I also have extensive experience as a professional tutor.

I realize just being in NJ reduces my chances of getting a job at this time. But in addition to advice on general job availability here, I was also wondering what you all thought about my chances given my experience.

krminnj is offline   Reply With Quote

EduK5

Old 07-11-2012, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At this point, who knows. Social Studies is a hard field to get into for teaching, not to many jobs are posted (at least from what I have seen). It seems....and I am not sure if you are male or female, but, if you are male you have more luck than a female. I say this because I have known many guys who have had numerous interviews, while females with the same certification do not get the interview.

I don't think your experiences will hurt you, but the school might take someone with a B.A. over an M.A. due to the fact that they don't have to pay them as much.

I think in NJ over all getting a job is based on either knowing someone or just plain luck. I would try getting sub or para jobs if possible. This might be the best way to get hired. Just don't do it in a small school district like I did....I thought it would help me, but no positions are really available at the school for my certifications.
EduK5 is offline   Reply With Quote