Can I send them all to the principal's office? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Can I send them all to the principal's office?

>

SnowyCitty

Can I send them all to the principal's office?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Wow, what a day! I subbed for a brand new class today that I have not been to yet. It was second grade, one of my favorites. However, this class just wound each other up, and grinded (is that a word?) on my my last nerve and patience. It got so bad that I had to have the school secretary come down and talk to the students. This rarely happens for me anymore as I have picked up on many tricks throughout the years.
I was flipping cards left and right, taking away free time minutes and none of that seemed to work. It didn't help that I was the second sub coming in this week, the first was there Monday-Wednesday.
I go back tomorrow. I was so close to telling them that I wasn't coming back, but I will give them one more chance.
Anyone have any tips on how to turn things around tomorrow?
Thank you all in advance for your input.

SnowyCitty is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 02-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Lots of sharp pencils ready to go, have am work for them to do, put all their chairs in front of their desks if you have extra time, write instructions on the board, telling them exactly what they should be doing, if they get out of hand stop instruction and using the projector have them start copying your expectations down and you need to already have those expectations written on a transparency, don't let them out of their seats, pass out the papers yourself. Hide the pencil sharpener. Show them your teeth. Be firm! Whenever they get done with their work tell them they can draw. Tell them they must not speak, but raise their hands only. Pray to go you have outdoor recess, so you can hang it over their heads. Good luck!
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

good advice
Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I second what Stella said with one additional note.....do not praise them early in the day if they ask you how they are doing....just say we shall see. If they do turn out great find a reward such as praise and maybe five min to free draw or extra story time right before going home.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs CAP

A new day, a new tone
Old 02-16-2012, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Start out tough. Set a new tone. Perhaps speak with the vice principal in the morning to see if you could send 1 or 2 to the office (maybe in the first 10 minutes of school). It's important that they know you are in charge.

I found this listed from a 2nd grade teacher, I'm going to try it with a grade 1-2 tomorrow.
Hope your day goes better tomorrow.

"The thing I've learned is that they all know HOW to listen and HOW to pay attention, they just need someone to make them WANT to. Therefore, we always play games like Smiley/Frowny where you draw a smiley face and frowny face on the board. Everytime ONE kid breaks the rules, they get a frowny point. When they're all paying attention, they get a smiley point. At the end of the day, if they have more smiley points than frownies, they get something special (extra minutes of recess, games, no homework, etc.). It works very well for my class."
Mrs CAP is offline   Reply With Quote

BookWorm68

Wow stella!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

To the point and pretty much a crib sheet on how to get the kids in line. :-)

I never heard the chair in front of the desk before.... what is that all about? Please explain as I would love another new trick.

Good Luck tomorrow SnowyCitty! Bravo for having enough gusto to walk right back through that door. Keep us posted on how your day goes tomorrow.

BookWorm68 is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 02-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I put their chairs down if I have time. You know how they get stacked at night or put on top of desks so the custodian can vacuum? Well, I put them down and then I tell them to go immediately to their chairs and get started on their morning work, because with hyperactive classes, they will use the running around to unstack chairs to start acting wild. That's all I meant by that. With hyperactive classes, I control their every little movement. Don't act hyper, get more freedom, act hyper, and the reins get tightened big time! I also put chairs right next to me for students that play around while I'm talking. Sometimes I keep talking, grab a chair, put it next to me, look at the student and point to the chair. If they say no, I say, "It's that or your recess!" Works every time.
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

SnowyCitty

Thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks everybody for all the great suggestions! I will definitely put them to good use. I'm glad I was able to look at the plans for tomorrow so I will be restructuring things a bit differently tomorrow than I did today. They also have PE tomorrow so hopefully that will get some of their energy out.

Check back tomorrow for the (positive) update
SnowyCitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Good suggestions! Go into tough mode, no nonsense, stern, piercing eye looks, with a commanding voice, keeping it short and to the point.

When the whole class is being obnoxious, I turn off the lights and make them lay their heads down. Tell them if you have to turn off the lights, it'll cost them 5 minutes of recess. Move the kids who are messing around right away, right beside you if possible. If a kid just can't get it together, send him to the office, show them if they act like that, it has consequences.

Good Luck tomorrow!
Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote