Hands to self when holding pencils!! - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

Pele

Hands to self when holding pencils!!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a former HS teacher now teaching ES. Completely new universe.

I have kids who love to gesture wildly when they talk. They're holding pencils too or no pencils. I worry that I or another student can get bonked. They also love to swing their legs back and forth when seated.
These are first and second graders. Not ADHD. Just very expressive kids.

I tell them stuff like hands to self please or 6 legs on the ground please. They listen for the moment and it happens again the next time. Argh! I never had to deal with this in HS.
Creative ways to deal with this please.. in ways that will stick for the rest of the school year, not just the hour I'm with them. Thank you all.

Pele is offline   Reply With Quote

Daphne333

Old 03-17-2012, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Little kids need to wiggle. I teach 3rd and allow my kids to swing their legs or stand at their tables. They know they must keep their legs in their own space. When standing they must be working and in a place that is not distracting others. I have a student who likes to work at the counter, where she can lean against it.
As for waving pencils, not sure. Maybe talk about how waving could hurt others. Also, my procedure is no tools in your hand during class discussions to prevent distractions. (We also have talked about how pencils /dry erase markers are tools not toys.)
Daphne333 is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am sorry; but there is no way to deal with this that will stick with the class for the year. It constantly has to be revisited. Even if they seem to have figured it out go back and practice after the first time one of them does not do it. I would think the wiggles would be very different going from high school to the primary grades.

With the pencils train them to use them only for writing and erasing.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

hmmm
Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

can you get shorter chairs perhaps switch w/ kindy room or something? Also, you could have them put the pencil down before they speak and make it a rule. When they start gesturing - say pencil down, okay now begin again.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote