First day of pre-k - ProTeacher Community

dee0404

First day of pre-k
Old 08-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HELP!!! I have been a fourth grade teacher for the past six years and now find myself teaching pre-k. I have NO CLUE, what my first day of school should look like. Everything I have been reading is about modeling and teaching behaviors and expectations but I need help in balancing that with them enjoying their first school experience. What does a typical first day look like in terms of activities and time for those activities? Does anyone have first day schedule/plans that they wouldn't mind sharing? Any help that you experienced pre-k PT'ers can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

dee0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrspennington

Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here are my lesson plans for the first day in pre-k from a few years ago, I think my others are at school. Provide lots of play time after going over the rules, beause they want to explore the room. I also usually sing a few songs and play a game to get to know each other. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: doc first_day_lesson_plans09.doc (36.5 KB, 71 views)
mrspennington is offline   Reply With Quote

TchMe

PreSchool
Old 08-31-2012, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Arrival can be a little overwhelming. Expect some children to be sad/nervous/anxious. If the school lets parents come to the classroom, expect some lingerers. I always put out table toys for the students to use upon arrival while I could talk to students and parents coming in the door.

Once every one arrived, I did a short circle time to introduce myself, sing some songs, do some dances, play some name games. Their attention span is very limited and they cannot sit for more than a few minutes without being distracted, so lots of song/talk/movement is a must!!

Here is a rough outline of the day. I always did a song or dance as a transition to each activity.

Morning: small group games-- blocks/puzzles/dramatic play; snack; outside; circle meeting- discuss rules & practice routines; story; art- make a drawing of yourself or something else;

Afternoon: lunch; story; outside again; circle meeting- discuss rules & practice routines; coloring; end the day with small group games

If you have a Smartboard they will enjoy watching a story on there too. Good luck!
TchMe is offline   Reply With Quote

dee0404

Thank you!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Once again, PT'ers to the rescue! I appreciate your help mrspennington and TchMe. I am excited about the upcoming year but I would be lying if I wasn't nervous as all get out. Thanks again for your help and ideas!
dee0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

cal33

Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Don't have too much out at first. I taught PK for 10 years, I found that starting simple is best. We use to cover shelves or turn them around until we could introduce the things in each center. Take a walk around the school the first day and introduce all the places and staff.
Good Luck.

cal33 is offline   Reply With Quote

smallwonder

Old 09-08-2012, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Your lesson plans are awesome! Thank you for posting them!
smallwonder is offline   Reply With Quote