9/11 video for 3rd grade? - ProTeacher Community

ggtchr14

9/11 video for 3rd grade?
Old 09-08-2012, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to discuss the anniversary of 9/11 and explain the events as appropriate to 3rd grade. I would rather not have me standing in the front of the room just telling them about it, I would like to get their prior knowledge, discuss, and show a video that also explains and brings in real emotion. I thought I had found a video at one time that told the story, had music, etc. was very touching and appropriate, but now I can't find it. Does anyone have a link to a video that you use?

ggtchr14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Begood

Old 09-08-2012, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year I ordered Time for Kids. They had a great online component. I don't know if you csn use it w/out ordering magazines..it was a nice slide show though.
Begood is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvTeachng

Old 09-08-2012, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was just coming here to ask about books or other teaching materials for 9-11. I know of the 911day (dot) org site, and plan to use that concept to have them do good deeds for others next week. But, I want to have some way to teach them about 9-11 other than to just say something like, "A few really bad people crashed airplanes into two tall buildings in NYC and one building in DC, and a lot of people died."
LuvTeachng is offline   Reply With Quote

teachem3rd

Old 09-08-2012, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have always begun the discussion with the picture book, The Man Who Walked Between the Towers, the author being Mordecai something, I believe...
It is a true story and my students love it. They begin to realize that it is the Twin Towers and begin to discuss events among themselves. You can even look up the name of the character online and see the original pictures.
teachem3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguinteach

Brainpop
Old 09-08-2012, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We watch one from Brainpop. I believe you do not even need a subscription to watch that one right now. Google Brain pop 9/11 and it should pop up. Preview it first of course to make sure it is ok for your class.

Penguinteach is offline   Reply With Quote

tangolily

Fireboat
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Another book I use is Fireboat, The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey, which is about how the crew of a restored fire-fighting boat brought the boat out of retirement to help out in NYC on 9/11. It is age appropriate and focuses on the heroism of firefighters.

http://www.amazon.com/Fireboat-Heroi...words=fireboat
tangolily is offline   Reply With Quote