Returning spoiled milk? - ProTeacher Community

AD

Returning spoiled milk?
Old 09-14-2012, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last Saturday evening I bought 2 gallons of milk at Trader Joes. We just finished the first gallon so I opened the second one tonight. It tasted off. I checked the date and it was "use by Sept 9" which was last Sunday.

Do you think they will allow me to exchange? Technically it wasn't past its use by date on Saturday when I bought it, but to drink it within the use by date from when I bought it, we would've had to drink it all on Sunday.

Also, I searched and no longer have my receipt. Do you think that's a problem? I'm going to have my husband call and ask.

I seem to be having bad luck with milk lately. In the past 6 weeks or so this is the third gallon that has been bad (the other two were terrible and still within their sell by dates but from a different store). All were organic. They obviously sit on the shelves longer. Normally I'd toss it but $5.99 per gallon? I'm not tossing it!

OmahaTeacher

Old 09-14-2012, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Isn't Trader Joe's known for having a good return policy? I'd call and explain the situation and see what they say. That's a lot of money for bad milk!

linda2671

You could try.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

All they can say is no. My husband once got a refund on a jar of pickles that broke when the sack ripped. The store refunded the money without a receipt or the jar of pickles. It all depends on who you talk to.

bandmom

Old 09-14-2012, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If TJ's wants to maintain their reputation for good customer service, they'll take back the milk and perhaps offer coupons towards more of their products.

I ♥ cats

Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've returned meat that was bad before. I had my receipt though. I agree with Linda - all they can say is no. Worth a try.

Sue too

sour milk
Old 09-16-2012, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would like to comment on the milk. On Dr. Oz one day they showed how they used a thermometer to check the temperature of milk in the grocery cases and the ones near the front were not as cold as they should have been. He rec. reaching behind the one in front and choosing the bottle behind it. I started doing that and my milk has lasted much longer than it ever did before. Please give it a try.

Last edited by Sue too; 09-16-2012 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: spelling