Behavior - ProTeacher Community

shanne

Behavior
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student that is from Africa and has been in America for about 4 weeks. He understands a lot more English then he can speak...but on the other hand he does not understand a lot. I am working with him on not yelling out/making noises and staying in his seat and raising his hand. The behavior chart that I use for the other kiddos he does not understand...and he would be in the office by 9 o'clock. So I just give him reminders ALL day. It has been 4 weeks now and I feel like I need to start a behavior chart for him...but I need something simple that he would understand. ( I am currently giving him smile stickers each time I caught him following on of the rules...but he still does not get many of thoughs.)

Any suggestions would be great!

(My ENL teacher services 3 schools and only sees him 20 mins one day a week...she told me she thinks he is ADHD! Which I think is way off...and that his is still learning.)

shanne is offline   Reply With Quote

googiesk

questions
Old 09-07-2007, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Where in Africa? Was he in a refugee camp? Our school has lots of immigrants from Africa and I have one in particular who was in a refugee camp. She came last year so I didn't have her right away but according to the teachers last year she displayed a lot of the same behaviors you're describing. Basically,in Africa, she was in a place where basic survival was the way only way of life. And those actions that are inappropriate in the classroom helped her survive where she was at (very horrible conditions). But of course, they are not appropriate here. I think you are on the right track with what you are doing but it will take time. This young lady was a nightmare to begin with--from what I hear--but she is doing much better now. It might be cultural shock, PTSD, or your ENL teacher might be right with the ADHD--but how can you know until you rule all other factors out first. Continue with structure, patience, and consistency. 4 weeks is a long time in the short run, but not that long when you consider the whole spectrum of his life! I know you are looking for specific behavior reports. Well, I think what you're doing will help--just put into chart form. This child needs your stability and patience in my and my school's experience. Document the behaviors to find out what might trigger it. Find out more about his life in Africa. Refrain from labelling him ADHD and the drugs that follow before you rule out other causes. Good luck! keep up the good fight!
googiesk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigger518

Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What about a picture of someone yelling with it crossed out and one with someone quiet with a happy face beside it? Show it to him and tell him no yelling be quiet when is is loud. Same for sitting in his seat and raising his hand.
Tigger518 is offline   Reply With Quote