Help

Gifted Education

First Time Gifted Kindergarten

>

learn

First Time Gifted Kindergarten
Old 05-28-2015, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In my years of teaching I've had the average, ESOL and the low groups. Now I'm being challenged with the high/gifted students.

I wanted to inter-twine a lot of things with my centers. I was thinking my

1. Guided Reading
2. Math Center
3. Writing/Journal-Response
4. Projects/Dramatic Play
5. Computer/AR center

Also, does anyone have ideas on how to delegate parents for huge weekly projects, how many for these kids weekly, really any pointers on how creative and informative I should be would help me.

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 05-28-2015, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My first question for you is, how are the students selected to be in this class? Is it strictly by high IQ or ability level? I ask because there is a difference. High IQ at the K level does not necessarily equate to high ability and vice versa. You can have a gifted kinder with a high IQ who is great at solving a rubik's cube in five minutes but can't read. Another student may read chapter books beautifully but is not able to think logically to draw conclusions independently or to solve mathematical word problems. So I caution you to not overwhelm your students with too much. They may be the high group, but they are still kinders and should be treated as such. Gifted does not necessarily mean mature.

In my opinion, a high/gifted kindergarten classroom should be structured much like a regular K classroom, just allow more opportunities for students to explore a greater variety of topics driven by their interests, to delve into standard K topics at a deeper level, and to progress at their own pace. Recognize when they are ready to move on to a new skill, but recognize also that even though you are working with the "high" group, you will still need to differentiate for various strengths, ability levels, and learning styles.

I'm not sure what you mean by "huge weekly projects." Are these crafts, research projects, science projects, book studies, or what? I'm not sure huge projects are developmentally appropriate for kindergarten, even if they are a gifted group. I personally would be comfortable with providing a sign up sheet at open house for parents to lead crafty projects once a week (or once a month), but I'm not sure I would put academic projects in their hands. Culminating activities designed to provide closure to a thematic unit would be okay, but again, I'm not sure I would trust a parent to lead such an activity. Again, you could provide a sign up sheet for parent volunteers to come and help during these activities, or you could make an online wiki and have parent volunteers sign up that way.

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

yes...
Old 05-28-2015, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

weekly crafts to go with a story is more of what I meant...
learn is offline   Reply With Quote