Does anyone use Accelerated Reader program? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Does anyone use Accelerated Reader program?

>

jbh1579x

Does anyone use Accelerated Reader program?
Old 07-31-2015, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are consider about useing Accelerated Reader program.

Do you know cost? I heard there is set-up fee and annual cost.

also host, Accelerated Reader and Star Reading assessment are different cost.

jbh1579x is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

Old 07-31-2015, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our school used to use both Accelerated Reader and Star Reading; however, the expense became too high and had to end our contracts with them.

There are some great benefits when used correctly and there are many teachers who do not use it for the full benefit. The cost is very high these days and I do not see how they will continue to stay in operation with the fee increases they have imposed.
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Ar
Old 07-31-2015, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We use it, but I have no idea what it costs. We've used it for the past 10 years, and they seem to be even better with staying current on tests for newer books and even old ones that didn't used to be AR. I really like it, but I'm glad I don't have to pay for it.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveMelissa

Ar
Old 07-31-2015, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

AR is a wonderful program and I loved having it for my students. Unfortunately, the cost to use it was too high and we no longer have it. I believe you have to pay for each book test. (At least a few years ago you did.) It was just way too much. Unfortunate, because it is a great program.
LoveMelissa is offline   Reply With Quote

springmac

Ar
Old 07-31-2015, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our school has used it in the past, but I think we are getting rid of it this year due to cost. I think it's a great motivator with the kids. I set up individual goals with each of my students every nine weeks. If they meet the goal by mid nine weeks, I do a lunch bunch with those students. If the goal is reached by the end of the nine weeks, the school has an AR party for eligible students. I'd like to piggy back a bit. For those of you who are no longer using it, do you do something different in the classroom to keep the kids motivated to read and have fun with it?

springmac is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

thumbs up for AR
Old 07-31-2015, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district has used AR for the past 10 years and up until two years ago the results have been very favorable. We used various forms of data to prove that it helped increase not only reading scores and fluency, but also interest level each year. But like many programs, without the buy in from the teachers, proper training, time allotted during the day, or a commitment from ad min. these programs do not seem to show improvement like they could. AR is costly to begin because it allows you access to an unlimited amount of books and tests but the yearly renewal is not as bad as it once was. The Star Test has also improved during the past few years and has the potential of being a valuable piece in driving instruction.
Also AR now has AR 360 ( expensive addition for grades 3-6) which we piloted last year and it aligns seamlessly to the common core. Lots of close reading of non-fiction expository articles, passages, and stories that include a variety of genres, all which are set up very near to the Smarter Balance. Our 4th and 5th grade teachers really liked them. Even though AR 360 does have tests they are not point based or included in the word count.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 08-01-2015, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I used to train for secondary AR programs, and I loved the program.

However, if it is poorly run, it's a major PITA. If you don't have everyone on board and running it as intended, it's going to be terrible.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 08-01-2015, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I should have been more specific in my previous post . . all the elementary schools k-5 in our district were on board but the middle schools tried to use it but because of what Ima Teacher noted they did not want to be committed to it. It did cause issues with parents because they wanted to continue it since it was so successful in elementary.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 08-01-2015, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our school has a subscription to Accelerated Reader and Star Reading. I believe there are added costs for Star versus just AR. We have a small school of roughly 350 K-8th graders. It costs us annually around $4,000. It is not a cheap program. I am currently trying to sway our decision to discontinue the program. AR doesn't seem to really promote reading in students who wouldn't read without the program. The avid readers rack up tons of points but the struggling readers often give up without even trying. My school has blanket goals with each grade level having a specific goal. I tried getting them to have students work toward individualized goals last year but teachers just didn't get it. The AR program stresses individualized goals and not making it a competition yet that is what schools seem to all do with it. The other issue with AR is that teachers need to help students select texts that are appropriate for the program to really promote reading. At my school teachers let students self select texts with next to no guidance. If you aren't familiar with the quizzes the nonfiction quizzes also support reading a nonfiction text cover to cover. This is not practical for nonfiction reading. When I want to know something about a nonfiction topic I would hardly ever read the whole text for the information. Biographies and the like are about the only thing you would read cover to cover. It is not reasonable to expect a 2nd grader to read a text on whales cover to cover and remember all the little facts for the quiz. The quizzes like to pull questions from diagrams and captions which makes it even more of a challenge. The questions are all "right there" kind of questions that require no critical thinking. Students who understand a fiction text and who can discuss it in depth but don't remember what day of the week a particular character went to the park might fail a quiz. The program I found defeats struggling readers which are really the ones you'd want to pull in with a reading incentive.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote