Help

ESL/LEP

Managing Small Groups

>

lenguages

Managing Small Groups
Old 11-17-2015, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach several small pullout groups a day. An issue that I am having is getting my kids settled quickly once we get to my classroom so that we don't waste instructional time. I only have 40 minutes with each group, and, by the time I pick up, get to class, and settle them down it seems like we only have a few minutes left! Not all of my groups are this way, but I have two or three that have over 5 students, and it's hard to settle them. I always feel rushed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for settling them down quickly? Thanks!

lenguages is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 11-29-2015, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think this is just about the expectations that you set initially. You might need to spend some time after the holiday break going over expectations. You might lose a bit of instructional time the first week, but the goal is that they now know exactly what they should be doing the minute they walk in the door.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

JessSickah

Old 12-13-2015, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe have a review or a short activity waiting for them when they walk into the room? They will start getting into a routine if they know when they walk in they are expected to complete something
JessSickah is offline   Reply With Quote

wisechoice

Small groups
Old 12-24-2015, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sorry about being late to your post. Are you able to contact parents? If you are a full time employee, do you have access to the school database? Try to start a dialogue with parents, even if you have to contact them regularly. Be proactive and call with positive feedback early on. If you have kids misbehaving, parents want to know sooner rather than later so they can address it.

Or, I know it's babyish, but you could count down from ten and if they aren't settled, they have a consequence!

Last edited by wisechoice; 12-24-2015 at 08:57 AM..
wisechoice is offline   Reply With Quote