How to describe a child who is twice exceptional. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Gifted Education

How to describe a child who is twice exceptional.

>

teachingtall

How to describe a child who is twice exceptional.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Howdy,

I have a student who is twice exceptional. He has an IEP for an emotional disability but he is also identified as gifted. In my district gifted is indicated at the 97th percentile. I am working on my NBCT component 2 and need to describe how his gifted exceptionality is impacting his behavior.

I am having trouble putting into words his giftedness and its impact on his behavior. This is what I have so far.

J’s greatest need right now is to develop the ability to regulate his emotional responses and decrease his rigid thinking surrounding his perceptions of self. J presents in many settings to be singularly focused on being a good, “smart” kid. He becomes focused on his own predetermined outcomes, regardless if those outcomes are possible. With this intense focus on a negative result, J becomes self harming and a disruption in the general education classroom.

I am trying to say that while he is gifted and able to focus and generate amazing products, he his gifted exceptionality is further driving his need to be perfect.

I am looking for a way to put it, while still respecting his talents as a student who is gifted.

Any suggestions?

teachingtall is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 01-11-2016, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As an NBCT, I can tell you that the National Boards are not looking for impressive, flowery language. They want to know how well you know your student and how you meet his needs in the classroom.

I would simply make observations. "J frequently has trouble regulating his emotions and often exhibits self-harming behaviors. For example..." Then describe specific incidents when his perfectionism and E.D. impeded his performance in the classroom.

Then tell how you handled the situations. "Because I believe his gifted abilities drive his need for perfection, I chose to... " Explain exactly what you did to differentiate for him based on his giftedness and how you accommodated his E.D.

When writing for the National Boards, you want to be sure to keep your writing simple. Tell exactly what happened. What did you do? What did the student do? Then reflect on what happened. Why did you do what you did? Did what you do work for this student? How do you know? If not, what could you have done differently? What do you plan to do in the future to continue to support and accommodate this student?
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote