Help

Sixth Grade

classroom management

>

hesgoldblack

classroom management
Old 01-13-2016, 12:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have an idea of some kind of competition for behavior I can do in my classroom? I need something ASAP! I've been teaching 13 years and have never had a class like this one!!!
HELP!!!!

hesgoldblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Rt2learn

Old 01-20-2016, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Some teachers use DOJO. This is tech based program that can be displayed on the board so students can see it. Also, it's made available to parents, so they are aware of their child's behavior.

You could also do something with a classroom management Monopoly game.

What about the jar of marbles or spelling out a word on the board - basically earning points toward some type of reward.
Rt2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

hesgoldblack

classroom management
Old 01-21-2016, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I thought about the spelling a word but I wasn't sure what to use. Since I teach 6th grade, I didn't know what word would be best.
The other 3 sixth grade teachers use DOJO but I am just not that "techy". Maybe I should learn!!
hesgoldblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Punch Cards
Old 01-29-2016, 09:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use punch cards. Found it on PT a number of years ago.

It works on the same premise as those cards you get from businesses, like coffee places. The business initials or punches your card each time you purchase, say, a coffee, and when you get all punched, you get a free coffee. I've attached my copy.

For my cards, kids need to earn 20 punches before filing up the card. They may use the card for a free homework assignment, free spelling test, or anything you want it to count for.
Attached Files
File Type: ppt Smiley punch small.ppt (62.0 KB, 53 views)
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

slight alter of punch card
Old 01-30-2016, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've done this with sticker charts instead of punches and the reward was a homework pass or up to 5 points on a test grade. Some would save them up.

kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

mrteacherguy

Team/Class points
Old 02-03-2016, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Depending on the age/grade of the students, you might want to institute some kind of class or team point system. I've done it both ways, having individual teams get points or having classes get points.

You can offer rewards for reaching in specific goals such as 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, etc. I'm currently doing that with only moderate success this year (last year the kids were super competitive and worked hard to keep each other in line so that they could earn points). The rewards that I give, and the class has to vote on whether or not to use the points, are things like being able to choose their seat for the day, getting popcorn during class, a homework pass for the entire class, the teacher bringing in donuts, or getting a video for the class period. Obviously you can tailor the rewards to fit the interests of your students.
mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

bgieselman

Spinning Wheel
Old 02-16-2016, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You could implement a marble reward system, filling a jar with one marble whenever the class provides you with the desired behavior. After a certain amount of marbles in the jar, depending on what you want, the class can spin a wheel that has rewards (free homework day, lunch with the teacher, etc.). The students will want to fill the jar as fast as possible. You can also morph this and have a jar for each student and do the same technique!
bgieselman is offline   Reply With Quote