In case you haven't heard about what happened in Tennessee this week... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teacher News & Opinion

In case you haven't heard about what happened in Tennessee this week...

>

Mrs.Lilbit

In case you haven't heard about what happened in Tennessee this week...
Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Standardized testing was supposed to start this week. Our state abandoned Common Core and the PARCC, adopted new standards that strangely read exactly like CCSS, and paid millions of dollars to a testing company that designed a computer based test, called TNReady, that (purely coincidentally, I'm sure) is structured and graded exactly like the PARCC.

And then this happened.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/educa...ilure/38325088

Did I mention TN is one of the few states that still evaluates teachers based on value-added data?

Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Quack!

TNReady
Old 02-12-2016, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in TN and have seen a lot of my former coworkers posting on Facebook about it. I can only imagine the fussing and screaming going on in the state offices right now. I do think they were a little too quick to dump it and go for pencil/paper tests. I miss my coworkers and students, but I don't miss the circus and stress!
Quack! is online now   Reply With Quote

TaffyFL

Happened in Florida
Old 02-13-2016, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This scenario happened in Florida last year. I was hoping it would lead to real changes, but it did not! Hopefully more parents will get involved in your state.
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Missouri too
Old 03-01-2016, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Missouri made common core illegal here, but DESE has a clone for us...

a few state reps and senators are waiting for Gov. Nixon to be termed out to introduce teeth to that bill that would put most to the decision makers at DESE in jail for doing it. we will see....
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

msk5

Alabama
Old 03-01-2016, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

is getting ready to do the same thing! And to make things more interesting, we are getting ready to spend $10 million dollars to an outside agency to store student records. They will use the test scores to determine if a teacher is effective, and what kind of a pay increase the teacher will get. This agency will also be posting the test scores of each class on the internet. I wonder how long it will take the parents to realize that everyone will know which students are not doing well in each class? Should prove to be interesting!

msk5 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

It might be a comfort
Old 03-04-2016, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

that PARCC research showed that those taking the pencil-and-paper version did better than those taking the test on computers.

Nevada had the same problems with even signing on to the web site to begin to take the test. Finally, Clark County was excused from the testing (includes Las Vegas and Henderson, the two largest cities in the state). Since Clark usually has the lowest scores, it was probably a no brainer to avoid having their scores included.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote