Help

High School

Pre-Ap English

>

Rt2learn

Pre-Ap English
Old 03-20-2016, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a middle school teacher (6 grade). Next year, I will teach a Pre-Ap English class. I have no resources for this class - starting from scratch. What curriculum do you suggest? What does your class period(s) look like on a daily, weekly basis? Any help is appreciated.

Rt2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 03-20-2016, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I taught English 2 Honors (Pre-AP for 10th graders), for bell work in the first semester, they had to correct sentences and the second semester I had them tell me the part of speech of each word in a simple or compound sentence (sentence types are a big thing!). On Wednesday they had PSAT Vocabulary Quizzes (if you google SAT vocabulary words you will find a bunch of ideas). I also had them read Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, Fahrenheit 451, and Little Women or Frankenstein as summer reading. (TFA and 451 were in class). For TFA and 451, we would do Socratic Seminars and I did annotation checks (they made their own). We focused a lot on annotation skills; what to annotate for, how to make annotations, etc. We also worked on college writing (claim, evidence, commentary and synthesis, rhetorical analysis, argumentative).

As a textbook, we used SpringBoard, but I personally barely used it because I did not like the way it was organized.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Rt2learn

Old 03-21-2016, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your reply. All of this makes sense, and I have a better understanding of what my period, day, week should look like. Thanks for sharing.
Rt2learn is offline   Reply With Quote