ESL/LEP

Pull-Out Group

>

JessSickah

Pull-Out Group
Old 12-13-2015, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone! Advice and ideas please

I have one official pull-out group. My group consists of a 2nd grader, two 4th graders and a 5th grader. One of my 4th graders is definitely my lowest and my 5th grader is probably going to test out soon. They use the Journeys reading program here and with my other classes, I am able to provide supplement material easily with the ENL materials and adapt materials as needed. However, with this group, having such a range of grades, content and even levels...it is something I am struggling with. I see this group 3 X a week for a half hour each. In addition, I see both 4th graders for a half hour both Mondays and Fridays.

I have considered doing centers; however, being that I only see them for a half hour, I do not want them to be completely independent while they are with me and it is hard to rotate centers by the time I get them back to my class. I have also thought about teaching a concept, or skill, reading a short "easy" book with it and completing a task and then allowing students to work with books that are more on their level to demostrate knowledge of the skill or concept. I would allow them to do that on their own and I would come around and have them take turns reading to me.

I just spoke with another ENL teacher and she suggested doing themes, that way I can incorporate different strategies that the students are working on in the classroom, but the concepts are things students should be learning as well. I am starting themes this week, with holidays. I am going to let my students help me pick certain themes, however, I am looking for ideas as well! I want to do Martin Luther King, JR, day come January.

Any advice or other ideas on how to plan for this class is greatly appreciated

JessSickah is offline   Reply With Quote

wisechoice

That's a toughie
Old 12-24-2015, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Limited time, limited days, and a heterogeneous group. Could you teach them all on a 2nd to third grade level (since they are ESL and need a rudimentary lesson delivery anyway)? Then they can go to workstations or use their binders to work independently? Independently means they are just reinforcing skills that they have already been taught. For ESL kids, I would keep it simple and take nothing for granted, but use a picture for everything! Gently scaffold their learning as they acquire new words. You have got to meet them where they're at, but at the same time you want to expose them to grade level vocab and thinking skills, too. Honestly , I think you are doing a great job, and you seem resourceful, committed, and enthusiastic! I am sure your school is glad you're on board 😊😉😀

For MLK, proteacher already has many great ideas. Just check out the proteacher collection.
wisechoice is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ESLteacher

Old 03-03-2016, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

is it even legal to to group kids from different grades like that? I mean, you can group K and 1, or 1 and 2, but 1, 4 and 5? In NY, I know it is illegal.
K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

JessSickah

Old 03-21-2016, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I live in NY! Wow, I wish it wasn't already March and I wish I spoke up sooner. I started in December. I'm going to look that up actually. I want to admit, it's so very tough creating lessons for these students.
JessSickah is offline   Reply With Quote