Help

ESL/LEP

Hey everyone

>

JSPESLTeacher

Hey everyone
Old 03-11-2016, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wanted to say hello since I have not been on the boards lately. I do have a few things I need to talk about but I will post on them in the near future. Hope everyone is having a great school year thus far.

Jake

JSPESLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Wow, what are the odds?
Old 03-13-2016, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I check this board very occasionally, just to see if you've ever posted an update since the end of last year. Good to e-see you, and I hope this year has been a much better experience for you.

Mooba
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

JSPESLTeacher

Hey Mooba -- and everyone else...
Old 03-14-2016, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here is the latest from here...

I am currently working in two teaching jobs, one about half an hour from where I live, the other about twenty minutes from where I live. The one job I have is just as aggravating as the job I originally joined this site to discuss, the other is a job I love. I am working with refugees from all over the world, helping them to learn all sorts of survival skills to be successful and productive Americans.

Jake

mooba1

Old 03-16-2016, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Good to hear at least half of your work is something you enjoy. Maybe it sort of balances out the frustrating one. Maybe the enjoyable job will lead to a full time position.

In any case, it sounds like working with refugees is really interesting for you. One of my regular schools I sub in is like the United Nations. I love it.

Thanks for the update. I'll hold a + thought for ya!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

JSPESLTeacher

Update!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Once again, I am in a position where I am being asked to leave a school. This time it is because they are choosing to move in a different direction. I am writing this note to my boss and would appreciate any feedback.

Dear ...

When I received your e-mail about a week ago, I was quite honestly perplexed. I had been working with N for about 4 months and approximately a month and a half ago, I sent you an e-mail with my concerns regarding his behavior. I never got any sort of response from you regarding whom I could speak to or what direction I should go in besides the SSC, buddy break, and the “take a break” exercises that PES employs. I must tell you that I was quite upset and frustrated that the first email response I got from you since sending you my concerns about his behavior was regarding setting up the data meeting and then shortly there after telling me in another e-mail that my services were not going to be needed. N has been a difficult student for much of the time I have worked with him. Thus, it is very difficult for me to provide any sort of data for you.

Although I can understand your decision to move in a different direction, I would hope that whatever that entails would include the use of an English as a Second Language teacher. As evident by the data and information my colleague E has gathered via the ACCESS test that she administered, it is clear that N needs to have additional services in terms of his language skills needing improvement. N is very far behind his classmates in many different academic areas. I feel that if I was to continue in my position, I could continue to help N to do better in his English language skills and with a team of other staff help him to work well in his other academic areas. Perhaps you can reconsider your decision, but regardless of what happens, I appreciate being given the time to work with him over the course of the second half of the school year.

Thank you,

tyrex

Old 03-31-2016, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Glad to "see" you back on the board. I am glad you are enjoying one of your jobs.

Regarding your message to your boss, I would eliminate the whole first paragraph. It sounds like your job loss is a done deal. There is nothing to be gained by putting him on defensive by the things he didn't do that he should have. There is also nothing to be gained by telling him your personal feelings about how he handled the issue. It will probably cause him to ignore any useful information you provide about the student and may affect the kind of reference he gives you.

At this point you just want to remain on cordial terms and not burn any bridges since you never know who knows whom. You want to keep info about the student very factual, non emotional, and based on observed behavior.

I would write something like this:

Dear Boss,

Here is the requested info about Student. Student's ACCESS scores are --, which mean that he is close/not close to reaching the state's exit score of --. His strengths are in -- and --. He is still developing his skills in -- and --. Regarding behavior, he struggles to -- and --. I tried behavior interventions of -- and --. The most successful behavior intervention has been ---.

Thank you for the opportunity to work for School. I have enjoyed my time working here. Please let me know if you need any further data regarding Student.
tyrex is online now   Reply With Quote

JSPESLTeacher

Hi Tyrex.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the feedback. It has just been another appaling situation.

Hope you are having a good school year.

Jake