Help

High School

What to Do When Most Students Are Not In Class

>

BioEducator87

What to Do When Most Students Are Not In Class
Old 03-17-2016, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a new teacher (started last month). I was wondering what to do when I am supposed to have a certain amount of students in class but only half or less shows up OR shows up late? Do I go ahead and go on with instruction and assignments? When I do so, I have students that get behind. We have an A day, B day schedule so I see each student every other day. A lot of the students are unmotivated and don't make an effort to ask for make up work or help. Any suggestions??

BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 03-17-2016, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Why are the students missing from class?

-Testing? Field trip for another class? Class assembly? Influenza epidemic? Some other legitimate reason that takes out a group of kids on a particular day? For this situation, I usually do some extra practice or supplemental work with the remaining kids so they are working, but the others don't need to make it up.

Sports? In our school, kids are responsible for the make up work, and they need to keep their grade to continue to play. I go right on with the regular work, since it's going to happen all season, and kids just have to do their job. Sometimes I hold special study sessions for athletes who regularly miss class, if it seems helpful and they want it.

-Cutting? Truant? Other unexcused absences? Carry on with regular material. They can make it up or take a zero.

-Do you have a system that makes it easy for them to find their makeup work without having to meet with you? I had a folder for each class for each day of the week, so kids could go right to the folder to get any papers or assignments. I just made it part of my end of day routine to fill up the folders for that day. Then you can just say, "If you were absent for the last class, be sure to check the folder for your work."
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 03-17-2016, 09:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

just keep going.... do you use blackboard or google classroom? just keep the assignments current in there, and email the parents to let them know there is homework on the computer, and their kiddos are expected to keep up. if you are lecturing, perhaps upload a video of the lecture as well.

if half are gone, you can spend more one on one with the kids that are there, so I'd just keep going
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 03-19-2016, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Unless it is a special day like a field trip, you have to keep going because otherwise they learn that it doesnt matter if they show up or not since they wont get behind or even have anything to make up. Now, students with chronic absences will not be motivated by grades, but the ones who are on the edge will make more of an effort to get to school if they know that they will have work to make up.

Having taught in that situation, I suggest having set due dates every week. Things like tests are on Thursdays, reading questions are due on Fridays, etc. Then post the dates and tell students that even if they are absent on the test day or due date they must still adhere to that deadline. A lot of schools have policies like students have 2 days for every absence to make up the work, so if you give them the deadlines way ahead of time then you are building in the extra time.

Hope that helps.
tyrex is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 03-22-2016, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am a sub and sub at a school like this. It is hard. Teachers tell me short due dates work best or kids forget or loose it. How about if you put their name on the paper so they can get it when they are there and then you assign the date from when they get the paper. Have a time kids can come for help. Some may want help but don't know when to ask for it. I see that in math.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote