Help

High School

Going from High School to Middle School

>

BioEducator87

Going from High School to Middle School
Old 04-22-2016, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone ever taught high school and then transitioned into middle school? If so, what are the pros & cons of each? I currently teach high school but was offered a middle school position. Thanks!

BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

Pros and Cons
Old 04-23-2016, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have taught both (from grades 5-12) over my 5 years teaching, and there are definitely good and bad things about each grade level.

Pros of Middle School (in my mind):
Students are funny, energetic, and more easily engaged than high schoolers. All students still seem "reachable" and "moldable" at this age. The content is typically simpler, so you can focus more on perfecting delivery and finding the best activities. From my experience, middle school teachers aren't spread as thin. They might have just as many students, but they usually only teach 1-2 different classes (whereas in high school I have had schedules with 5 different classes). Team teaching is cool...I enjoyed being able to discuss specific student challenges with other teachers and brainstorm solutions. I felt slightly less pressure and less seriousness in middle school.

Cons of Middle School:
I felt like I had to completely bend over backwards to accommodate each student. Spent much more time in communication with parents in general, and parents are very opinionated. You spend a lot of time teaching good school skills instead of your subject and dealing with social issues between students. The relationship is in some ways not as rewarding as with high school students, who are becoming adults, deciding where to go to college, etc.

Hope this helps! I think both levels really have their benefits. I am not in love with my current high school job, and I am definitely open to either as I search for jobs.
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote