Help

High School

wrestling program

>

whd507

wrestling program
Old 04-27-2016, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My nephews are in a school that I do not sub for yet, and they are great students who are also very active in band, JROTC and earlier this year wrestling. I have an uneasy feeling about the program, and asked several coaches in neighboring districts, and I only got more concerned. because my guys are not JV wrestlers, they get little real coaching, which I'm ok with because I don't know the coaches. but my biggest single thing is no parents or outsiders allowed to watch wrestling practice. it upsets the mojo if parents are there it seems. (so if they cant practice with parents there, how are they supposed to wrestle at events with parents there?)

is this normal? I typically would have disallowed my own kids from being involved with any program that had that stipulation just for the principal of the matter if I had run into that. I taught at a sports intensive school and never heard of such a thing.

whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Not sure
Old 04-27-2016, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not familiar with parents wanting to attend practices. I would probably not want them there on a daily basis if I coached.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 04-27-2016, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I guess that's what I'm asking, why is wrestling different from every other sport. I attended hundreds of practices when my boys were growing up, soccer, baseball, kung fu, and hundreds more for my youth kids, football, softball etc.

unruly parents get booted from any sport,I doubt that is the reason. I have a real issue with an outright ban like this. especially with the Denny Hastert sentence today as an added reminder why we don't let people have unrestricted access to our kids. with wrestling being such a contact sport and such, I would think it would be even more important to have transparency.
W. Coach

W. Coach

Old 04-27-2016, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm a wrestling coach and we don't allow parents in our practice room either. It's pretty common in wrestling. I also coach football....again....parents do not come to practice. Wrestling practices are different than most practices. It's important that athletes are focused on executing and drilling moves correctly, than worried about having their mom/dad yelling or instructing them. My advice, is to get to know the coaching staff and ease your mind.

Revisionist

Old 04-27-2016, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It is completely normal. I coach wrestling at both the middle school and high school level. We do not allow parents in for our practices for a number of reasons. One....wrestling rooms are generally very small and hot rooms. Two .... they distract the athletes and try to coach. We'll stop there. Wrestling is much different than most sports, where as, our athletes must be focused 100% of the time or someone may get injured. I don't want an athlete worried about what his/her parents are thinking, while we are drilling a complex series of moves. Nothing good will come of that. If you are concerned about this...I would get to know the coaching staff and ease your mind. I don't know of any wrestling rooms in my area, which allows parents during the season. I'm not sure that would be a good coaching atmosphere.

Revisionist is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Thank you
Old 04-28-2016, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I needed to hear something different than what I was getting from my own experience as a teacher, and what not. I tried to get to know the coach, and that only made it worse, so I let it go to not make waves for the boys.

I ask wrestling coaches in neighboring districts, and pretty much all of them said that they would allow a parent to visit but are very strict about silence and non-interference, and nowhere near the showers/lockeroom.

but that said they also said that this program is disliked by the local schools, and many consider it an abusive program, which is why I an ok with them being jv and not getting a lot of attention. The varsity travels up to three states away, and can be gone for the week when hitting tournaments. the jv usually stays within the state. I have seen the coach and varsity load up in the bus and wait while JV was still on the mat. I really didnt like that either. also all my guys from church in this program have developed attitudes that I dont see in any other sport, and overall I'm just not impressed. But you have eased my mind about closed practices, because I just wasn't finding that common around here I guess. Thank you

Last edited by whd507; 04-28-2016 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: varsity