Help

ESL/LEP

Loser, Liar, Taunting

>

JSPESLTeacher

Loser, Liar, Taunting
Old 05-02-2016, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey friends. I am writing because I am having a world of difficulty with my sole student at my current school, but before I go into that, I must tell you something else...

My boss decided to e-mail me that my services were no longer needed in the Fall...yes that's right, my boss, the director of student services, told me via email, that we won't be needing your services in the Fall after about 2 months of me e-mailing her about the behavior of my student.

Okay... so on to the brunt of my message.

Today, we returned from Spring Break and I was happy because it appeared that my student "N" was having a great day and I was hoping that it would continue.

... NOT!

Today, I attempted to have him "take a break" (more or less like time out) but he refused to listen to me. Eventually, he went on to call me a loser and a liar. He would end up taunting me even calling himself a loser as well which was adding to the ridiculousness of the matter. He also mentioned while we were in the student support center (which is the last place we can have a student go to if his behavior is out of line) that his mother taught him how to fight, he ended up calling the other teachers in the SSC (student support center) losers as well. He said, "I don't care what you say, I don't have to listen to you." He even said, "You're not my teacher" (to me at one point in this exchange). He also thought it would be a good idea to climb on the wall we have near the classroom. Long story short, I had called his father and left a message. Honestly, it does not matter, because he is not going to be suspended. He is not going to be taken out of school. Oh yeah, I forgot he also has hit students and tripped them as well. So, yeah, am I frustrated? yes. Am I pissed? Yes. I am just curious your experiences with this kind of crazy stuff. Let me know. Thanks.

JSPESLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ESLteacher

feel your pain!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ok, first of, what grade do you teach? At first I though, a high school, but when you mentioned a student climbing a wall, I figured you taught elementary. In any event, I have had experience with students calling teachers and themselves names like stupid and loser. Also, I am a service provider so i do not have a class of my own, and occasionally the students would say 'oh, you are not my teacher so I am not listening to you!' Been there done that. The issue with this is, as a school, there has to be some norm, a routine where classroom teachers introduce their service providers as equal partners, so the students view service providers as their 'other' teachers, that are no better or worse than their classroom teachers.

As far as calling you and himself/herself names, I think it is a good idea to sit with the students and talk things over. Who knows? You need to know the source of his/her name calling/frustration. if the student calls himself/herself a loser it is likely that he/she tends to fail at everything, not because he/she is not capable, but because he/she needs (not that you do not provide) specialized support based on his/her IEP, academic, or language needs. If the student calls you a liar, make sure that you are consistent in your routines and procedures. Also, always follow through your classroom behavior plan. Once the student realizes you are not consistent, or do not follow through your behavior plan, or promise something but then never keep your end of the bargain, student catches up on that and will realize you are not fair and in this case, lie.

I hope it helps.
K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

JSPESLTeacher

Response
Old 05-08-2016, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is at an elementary school. The kid is in 2nd grade. The school has done absolutely nothing to support me. My boss is a joke. She let me go via e-mail. I am supposed to be finished at the end of the school year. There are a ton of issues with this school.
JSPESLTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ESLteacher

The way out
Old 05-09-2016, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, the only way out I see is that you do your best till the end of the school year and then get #$%^& out of there!
K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

This says little about you
Old 05-16-2016, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

And speaks volumes about the p*** poor state of the school system. It's clear the inmates run the asylum these days. Sorry to hear you have to deal with such a spineless turkey of a boss. Sadly this is all too common.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote