Help

Sixth Grade

How to describe how much help I need!

>

MansfieldRoad

How to describe how much help I need!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a retired high school teacher who was just hired as a midyear replacement in a middle school classroom. (No, I am not crazy.)

These kids have had 5 teachers since September (new 6th graders started in a new school with a newly -minted teacher, who quit teaching altogether at Christmas. Three substitutes until I was hired).

They are wild: running around the room, refusing to sit, screaming and yelling. They tear up paper, break pencils deliberately, do nothing and turn nothing in. They misbehave in a swarm and I can't figure out who does what.

Admin is supportive to the max but this is my nut to crack!

I want these children to be successful. I want them to learn and I want to stay in this job. I need proven, positive middle school classroom management programs that have worked for you.

Thanks for your help!
Mansfield Road

MansfieldRoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Make a Connection
Old 02-21-2016, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh my, it seems like you have a real challenge on your hands. I think I would start out by introducing myself and being honest. Show them who you are and then get to know them. I would even say, "We are going to take some time to get to know one another and then go from there." I don't know how strict your curriculum is but I would do the most high-interest things I could.

I really like Michael Linton's website:
http://www.smartclassroommanagement....ays-of-school/

Teach rules and procedures, and then practice. You must have a solid plan that works for you and stick with it. I like how Linton stresses that your classroom has to be a place kids want to be. I also like his advice for staying calm and enforcing rules without emotion and arguments.

I can picture the chaos of this class. It would be interesting to just stand there quietly with a mysterious smile and wait for them to notice you. Then, begin...
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Old 05-16-2016, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How did it go? Did the class come around?
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote