Teacher News & Opinion

Update: Testing in Tennessee

>

Mrs.Lilbit

Update: Testing in Tennessee
Old 04-27-2016, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

http://tn.gov/assets/entities/educat...t_Contract.pdf

Shortly after this was released, our district superintendent announced that all testing in grades 3-8 has been suspended for the rest of this school year. Part of me is rejoicing and part of me is mourning the loss of instructional hours that were wasted on test prep this year.

Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookwoman

me, too
Old 04-28-2016, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am happy that my kids won't have to suffer through the test. As 6th grade math students, they have so many gaps in their knowledge because the new standards assume they have had the new standards in previous grades. I am sad that so much time has been spent this year on test prep-computer practice every week (then last minute paper and pencil switch), rushing to cram the material in, etc. This whole year has been a fiasco at the state level. Then, again, what else is new?
Bookwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 05-03-2016, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It does make you disappointed thinking about the hours of classroom instruction that have be required to master the standards and prepare for the testing procedure. The time spend can never be recovered. The good news is that this district was able to cut their losses and not expect students to test with a product that the testing company is unable to provide. *crazy*
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Do you guys go to chalkbeat.org?
Old 06-18-2016, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's a good site for education news (with a bit of a reformer bias, but they do print other points of view). They have bureaus in Colorado, Indiana, Tennessee and DC.

The reason I ask is that chalkbeat has been covering this testing fiasco of yours (and it sounds pretty horrible). I've been reading about this for months. One thing I notice is that while Colorado teachers post a lot, teachers in other states really don't. I wonder if it's because they don't know about the site.

Anyway, it's well-respected and I absolutely promise you that the people screwing things up in Tennessee read this site every day. You are allowed to use a pseudonym, although I use my own name, and it would be helpful to your cause, I think, if teacher voices were on there more.

chalkbeat. org. Go there, read, and start posting teachers' points of view. Our POV is absent from almost every conversation having to do with education. Get on there, please! and make your voice heard. MOST ESPECIALLY if you're from Shelby County!!!!!!!! I can't believe the crap I'm reading about reforms in Shelby County. Just horrible.

Proteacher is a nice, sympathetic ear, but it has zero influence in the world of education. Chalkbeat is read by the policymakers. Proteacher is nice, but impotent.

Last edited by maryteach; 06-18-2016 at 06:01 AM..
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote