Help

High School

Help: how to use case studies in environmental science

>

yaga44

Help: how to use case studies in environmental science
Old 07-24-2016, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi educators! The coming academic year will be my first time to use case studies technique and it just seems I can't get a hold of the concept. Has anyone used case studies and can share some ideas or tips? I would be grateful. Thanks and keep up the good fight

yaga44 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 07-24-2016, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here's a good article that gives a lot of ideas:

http://www.actionbioscience.org/education/herreid.html

When I taught AP Environmental Science, each unit started with a case study. Students read the study and we had a whole class discussion that highlighted many of the concepts to be covered in the unit.

I have also presented case studies to students without the ending or resolution. I ask students to suggest actions to be taken. I provide information a little at a time, as they request it.

Sometimes I've given a case study (often fictional, but not always) and had students in small groups play different stakeholders. We might stage a town meeting to bring all the sides together. Each set of stakeholders has a different set of information. For example, present some information about the Flint water crisis in very simple terms (A decision was made to change the water source. Soon afterward, residents noticed cloudy drinking water. A factory found that the water was unusually corrosive.). Now, divide kids into stakeholder groups: residents, the governor, scientists from EPA, physicians, factory owners, etc. Give data summaries about water quality to the EPA scientists, financial information to the town managers, health information to the physicians, impact information to the residents, etc. Have each side present their view of the matter. Then have the class act as an committee that needs to make action recommendations.

Lots of ways to use case studies!
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

yaga44

Great idea :)
Old 07-26-2016, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Lisa53 you helped me a lot I alike your idea of case study..I will also go check the link you posted thanks
yaga44 is offline   Reply With Quote