Help

Gifted Education

Curriculum

>

teacher4

Curriculum
Old 09-08-2015, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are you teaching? I am teaching chemistry, Escher, cooperative learning, and in math digging for data for the first nine weeks. I want to do a unit on jazz but not sure of the categories.
Do you have any great projects you can share?

teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 09-09-2015, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My district provides us with teacher made units. This quarter I'm studying ponds with my first and second graders and a book study of Punished by David Lubar with my fifth graders. The teacher that does third grade is studying geology and the fourth graders are learning about Einstein. I plan to do Charlotte's Web next with the little ones and Shakespeare with 5th grade.

Our curriculum is not really project-based (though we do incorporate independent projects into our units). I wish I could help you more there.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Old 09-09-2015, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you! We have an outline of the topics but I have to pull together resources.

jd019

Teacher4
Old 09-11-2015, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

digging for data sounds fun! What do you do?
jd019 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Old 09-23-2015, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They collect data doing an activity in so many trials. The first one students selected the number of jumping jacks they could do in a min. After they completed they found the mean, median, range, and rate of their data and then the class data. The next week the made a line plot and explain what the data mean. I did this lesson with 3rd and 4th grade. That was lesson one and two.

greyhack66

teacher made units
Old 07-06-2016, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Does your district sell these units? I am starting up what we are going to be calling Challenge.
Mondays I will have 2nd and 3rd graders for two hours, Tuesday I will have 4th and thurs I will have 5th for two hours each. They are the Gifted and Talented kids or HICap ... looking at how to start ...
greyhack66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 07-11-2016, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

grayhack66, we do not sell our units, but they are all structured pretty much the same way.

The unit starts with some kind of game or brainteaser to introduce the topic. We might play "What's in the box?" or "May I come to the party?" as a teaser, so the students can guess what the new topic will be. When we do our book study on Charlotte's Web, I put a toy spider in the box, or make "farm animals" the category for May I Come to the Party. Once students know what the object or category is, they have to figure out why I chose that object/or category.

After they figure out what the new topic is going to be, we do a research scavenger hunt. I post various informative texts around the room for students walk around and read. For Charlotte's Web, I post informational texts about spiders and pigs. There is usually some kind of written activity to go with this--a sheet with questions or a crossword puzzle--that they must use the texts to find the answers.

When they complete the written activity, I pair up the students and let them "study" together. Once everyone has had a chance to study and memorize their answers, I divide them into teams and we play a quiz bowl type game using the questions and answers from the scavenger hunt.

From that point on, the studies contain various activities that all pertain to the topic: fallen phrase puzzles using a quote about the topic or from the book we are reading as a class, rhyming riddles (given a clue, find two words that rhyme--ex. what do you call a pup who loves pigs? A hog dog), word scrambles, logic puzzles, word ladders, wheel of fortune, either/or forced choice group discussions, creative problem solving, etc.

Each unit also incorporates an activity called research relay. We divide the class into three or four groups and give them informational text (not one that was included in the scavenger hunt) about the topic. After students have read the text, they race to answer questions about the text.

Each unit usually culminates with some kind of research project that students must do independently. For Charlotte's Web, students choose a species of spider and must create an artistic representation of their spider and a write an acrostic poem using facts they learned about their spider--what makes their spider different or unique.

Each unit usually takes about 4 to 6 weeks to complete, from the beginning teaser activity to the culminating activity. If you have any questions or want more information about the specific activities I mentioned, feel free to PM me. Hope that helps!
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

greyhack66

Thank you for your help
Old 07-27-2016, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our District uses amplifyCKLA and they have between 8-11 units for the school year alternating fiction with nonfiction. Your ideas give me a start of how to prepare for a new program. Can you explain your beginning teaser "May I come to the party?" a little more? Thank you for the long post and explaining some of your ideas. This is all new to me since I will have the kids two hours a week one day a week(each grade level). I am totally at a loss on how to organize myself.
greyhack66 is offline   Reply With Quote